Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: AR15 Info

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    My observations from using different AR's:

A two point quick adjust sling is really the most sensible way to carry an AR in the field. Your shoulders take the weight of the rifle, you can cinch it close to your body while scrub bashing and at the pull of a tab your rifle is free for you to fire. My favorite is the Viking Tactics padded sling. The Blue Force Gear Vickers combat application sling is lauded by many as the best, but I have one and don't get the hype. You can get the same dumbed down sling from Redimag for like $USD20. Avoid single and 3 point slings.

Forward grips are great for shooting in a range environment but tend to bang into your legs when you are out hunting and slinging your rifle.

Front sight posts are a pain in the arse with scopes on a sunny day. If it catches the light your scope will "white out".

Don't bother cleaning it. Forget all AR vs AK bullshit. You're not in Afghanistan. Just bung lube in the BCG and it should run. I use diesel engine oil because it doesn't evaporate and has detergents which break down carbon.

Rapping a piece of electric tape around the bottom of metal mags will stop them from rattling in the mag well when you're hunting.

Rubbing Chassis grease on the recoil spring will eliminate the "boing" sound every time you fire the rifle.
    I'll add more as they come to mind.
    That's a cool tip - I'll definately try that one as that boing noise does annoy me.

cheers

kj

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    my tip would be Decide what rifle you want to end up with, Pick each part write it down or go on AR builder.com then order that, not buy a basic one and spent your next 6 months wages on little bits and pieces. Im going to stick my neck out and say what makes a ar15 accurate is the barrel and trigger. barrel must be of good quality and be free floated. trigger must be easy to use. good mounts and good glass come next.

BCG - bolt carrier group. this is the bolt of the rifle

Free float tube - this is the fore grip of the rifle by free floating it dosent contact the barrel aiding accuracy

lower - the bottom bit that holds the trigger, stock, and magizine well.

upper - the top bit that has the barrel, fore-end, sights, gas tube and houses the charging handle and BCG

If you suppress your AR15 and start getting debris and gas blown into your eyes do this - Do It Yourself Gas Busting Charging Handle [2009-09-29] - 03DESIGNGROUP

I disagree about the cleaning comments above, barrels must be looked after as much as any other rifle. inside and out. chrome lined I have no experiance with.
    get a crome lined BCG if it is offered they are great.
    the rest of the rifle is basically Ali. bar the pins trigger and springs ect.
    Go light on any oil you spray into the action area as it can cause extra burning of eyes
    Good advise too. When ordered my one (ASI Ultra-match) I ''up sized my combo'' to include the best of everything i could buy at the time. I ended up with titanium bits and bobs and match BCG, Douglas match barrel, tight true .223 chamber and a match trigger etc etc.... and at the time it was only about $500 more than getting a bog standard AR. Much cheaper to just buy it right first time rather than pay for every part twice.

kj

Edit: Oh - one maistake I did make was to get a varmint profiled barrel (0.92'' straight barrel). Even with the flutes, it still put the overall weight (rifle,scope,suppressor) above 10lb!!!! So I sent it to Robbie Tiffan who cut 4'' off the barrel and machined it down to shed about 3lb's off its weight. It did loose a little accuracy (from a stunning 0.25MOA to 0.60MOA) but who cares, as it is now very useable.
    Last edited by kimjon; 02-10-2012 at 09:25 AM.

My tip would be to work out what the purpose of the AR will be and build it to suit. Remember you can have 1 AR15 lower and heaps of uppers to suit whatever you are up to.

My AR's
    Tactical/general purpose AR - 223 Wylde, 16" Heavy barrel, free floated quad rail, 1-4x scope, Mid length gas
    Light Weight Deer hunting AR - 6.8SPC, 16" recon weight barrel, 2-10x scope, Mid length gas
    Light weight Plinker/hunter AR - 5.56 NATO, 14.5" Light weight barrel, Mid length gas
    Suppressed Piston AR - 5.56 NATO, 14.5" Heavy barrel, carbine Length Adam Arms Piston system, Hardy AR suppressor

Just having a look around lots of choices, still lots of questions , thoughts on this one ?

DPMS Panther RFA2-LPC AR15 223 Remington

Bottom of the barrel DPMS model. DPMS is generally considered a low end brand, but as I have said like 1000000000000000000000 times, a bottom of the barrel US made AR will do what 99% of Kiwi shooters want to do. It's also way over priced for what it is.

Thanks Beavis, that low flat looking config is what I had in mind, I will keep me peepers open for others
    Grouchy Smurf had it right all along...

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Bottom of the barrel DPMS model. DPMS is generally considered a low end brand, but as I have said like 1000000000000000000000 times, a bottom of the barrel US made AR will do what 99% of Kiwi shooters want to do. It's also way over priced for what it is.
    Mossberg bolt action will do whatever any nz hunter wants, plenty of people with Sakos, Wby MKVs, etc though. I don't understand why people are so against the idea of buying a premium quality AR. I guess it's harder to see the differences and less people 'know' things about them

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Mossberg bolt action will do whatever any nz hunter wants, plenty of people with Sakos, Wby MKVs, etc though. I don't understand why people are so against the idea of buying a premium quality AR. I guess it's harder to see the differences and less people 'know' things about them
    Hey guys...just my 2c....there's just the 'old school' attitude that hunting has to be done with a bolt action 'one shot, one kill' and anything done with a semi auto is 'cheating'......
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

You can fire just one shot from a semi auto, too.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    You can fire just one shot from a semi auto, too.
    Hey gimp, that was my point.....I have a AR15 for hunting too, just that I get 'negative' shit for having one!
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

So can anyone point an off the shelf ar15 to start off with ? Would use it for goaties. Any links on nz websites ?

Quote Originally Posted by Survy View Post
    So can anyone point an off the shelf ar15 to start off with ? Would use it for goaties. Any links on nz websites ?
    Highest quality you can find Spanners posted a list of good to bad ARs it's on here go find it. I purchased a used STI and it Awsome. IE shoots heads off myna birds at 70 + mtrs all the time so accurate as has aftermarket trigger + suppreesor Since then I'd say I have not seen a used one of any brand that looks as good. Maybe ask one of the guys to bring you one in I'd PM Spanners and ask him if I was looking now ..
    Survy likes this.
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Quote Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
    Hey gimp, that was my point.....I have a AR15 for hunting too, just that I get 'negative' shit for having one!
    Absolutely.

I'm not against premium quality AR's but they are rare as rocking horse shit

Yeah in Nz. Hah everywhere at the moment, I guess