Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Ammo Direct DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Barrel length vs speed 7mm rem mag

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    I'm picking by looks it is a early gun works Spartan. Awesome suppressor. I've directly compared mine to DPT and honestly there is bugger all real world difference in overall length. Lay rifle down on floor with muzzle at carpet join.take note of where recoil pad is. Fit one. Then fit the other. The extreme end length will vary by less than an inch. Where the gun works is longer is back towards the stock...for me that is a bonus as it puts a little of the little weight back closer to hands,eg less muzzle heavy. It's not a huge amount but it's noticeable,the other thing for bush hobbit is it's not a big step up in size out on barrel to catch on vines etc as the step up is closer to foreend and is smaller anyway. Don't get me wrong I love my DPT cans too.but the gun works jobbies are every bit as good on longer barrel.
    Yeah looks long but I think it’s a bit deceiving I don’t think there’s much Difference when looking at Only muzzle forward length
    Muzzle back length didn’t mean much
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    No i will not be running an unsupressed hunting rifle I value my hearing that is completely out of the question
    If you are shooting suppressed short barreled magnums without ear protection you are not really valuing your hearing. For larger chamberings I prefer a brake with good ear protection. The rifle is lighter and shorter over all, recoil is better reduced, the velocity is increased and my hearing is better protected.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    If you are shooting suppressed short barreled magnums without ear protection you are not really valuing your hearing. For larger chamberings I prefer a brake with good ear protection. The rifle is lighter and shorter over all, recoil is better reduced, the velocity is increased and my hearing is better protected.
    One shot every few months in the field fine
    I would always wear hearing protection when fireing multiple shots

I’ve had one muzzle break rifle (NEVER AGAIN) fucken horrible things
    Micky Duck, Jukes and No.3 like this.

One shot every few months in the field fine
    I would always wear hearing protection when fireing multiple shots

I’ve had one muzzle break rifle (NEVER AGAIN) fucken horrible things
    Seems illogical to me but I guess we all pick the spot on the hearing loss scale we are happy with.
    With the right gear I find a good brake a pleasure to carry and use,but good is the operative word here, not all brakes are equal.

Seems illogical to me but I guess we all pick the spot on the hearing loss scale we are happy with.
    With the right gear I find a good brake a pleasure to carry and use,but good is the operative word here, not all brakes are equal.
    I think it’s all good with you have time if you’re shooting long range the animal doesn’t know you’re there and you have time to put on PPE etc
    I think it’s impractical to hunt wearing hearing protection especially if you’re hunting with someone else

I think it’s all good with you have time if you’re shooting long range the animal doesn’t know you’re there and you have time to put on PPE etc
    I think it’s impractical to hunt wearing hearing protection especially if you’re hunting with someone else
    The electronic ears work very well in those situations, peltor or sordins etc. Enhancing the sound till the shots fired. We use them a lot, mostly wallaby or goat shooting etc even with 223 suppressed rifles. You can hear your mate taking the piss a lot easier. though I use them in the bush sometimes, keeps my ears warm as well

Good to know
    Im assuming that’s with warm handloads not anaemic factory ammo?
    Yup reloads

Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker View Post
    Yup reloads
    What powder were you using in short barrels (please don’t say reloader 26) lol

Mines a 21inch barrel. 2225 powder to 2950fps with a 162.

The electronic ears work very well in those situations, peltor or sordins etc. Enhancing the sound till the shots fired. We use them a lot, mostly wallaby or goat shooting etc even with 223 suppressed rifles. You can hear your mate taking the piss a lot easier. though I use them in the bush sometimes, keeps my ears warm as well
    Yeah I use them on the range alot (mainly a target shooter)
    I just think hunting in them would be an uncomfortable pain in the arse to be frank lol
    It’s not just the noise I don’t like about breaks it’s the face full of dust and everything else that goes with them

N560 went well in my 22” rem mag velocity wise

Reloader 23 in a few of them. 2225 in another I know of