Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Brownells own brand 5 round mags awful?

I ground off 2.5 turns eventually (1 then 1/2 each time), on one it would then usually feed 2 if 2 were loaded, if I loaded 5 it jammed on the first then tilted on the 3rd. So I could take out yet another 1/2 turn but it seems to be tilting now and jamming up ie a different fault. So I munted several cases in the process as the BCG came forward, ho hum.

I assume shipping a gun part back to Brownells ie into the USA is simply a non-starter?

I have complained, lets see what transpires.

I certainly need at least 3 reliable mags.

:/
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Send one to me and I'll tell you if it's fucked

Magazine release:
    I bought 1x spears Gen2 mag for fun and it seems to drop freely from my Spikes lower, have not tried it in my NEA however...

Magazine feeding:
    I also have a number of AR stoner mags, i have converted a few 10 rnd ones to 7 round, and they seem to be much more forgiving than the 7 rounders (5 round ones modified).
    This is because they still use the orginial full height springs, but i have fitted a fixed spacer which limits the travel of the follower so only 7 rounds can be fitted.

The factory 5 rnd (NZ modifyed to 7 rnd) use a tightly wound or stacked spring as the way to limit the number of rounds, but they keep the same wire size and coil pattern for the upper half, and this i see it is the problem.
    As this recipe means the spring is actually significantly more stiff for the same duty.

I think the best thing to do with these is change the springs to the 10 rnd ones and then reduce the follower travel to allow only 7 rnds.

Pic below is the stacked 5rnd spring i found on the www.
    Name:  ARstoner 5rnd magazine spring.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  9.1 KB

...double post, www slow as kids used up all the broadband...