Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Ammo Direct

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: FFP scope options - recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    Do you have a price and/or weight limit?

There are quite a few good FFP scopes out there but they tend to be aimed more at target shooters and get a little heavy.
    Doing homework only at this stage. But if/when I buy something it will need to closer to $1k than 2k. And no, I won’t be buying new. Don’t like or want big fat heavy scopes, 44mm objectives preferred over 50mm. Hoping to find a couple of suitable options then if one comes up for sale then I might pull the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    Doing homework only at this stage. But if/when I buy something it will need to closer to $1k than 2k. And no, I won’t be buying new. Don’t like or want big fat heavy scopes, 44mm objectives preferred over 50mm. Hoping to find a couple of suitable options then if one comes up for sale then I might pull the trigger.
    Heres some options I've found:

-March 3-24x42 is probably the most well rounded for your usage, but you'd need to try get one 2nd hand.
    -Burris Veracity isn't a bad option for a FFP hunting scope, I'd want the 4-20 model as they other reticles are kinda dumb (lack of any decent wind holds).
    -Leupold Mark 4/5/6 is also a good option but unlikely to find one under 2k.
    -Arken EPL-4 4-16x44 might well be your best option, I've not used one but they seem to get good reviews generally (evening ignoring the ridiculous reviews saying they are as good as a $7000 S&B for 10% the price).
    The reticle doesn't look ideal for hunting purposes, but at a minimum of 4x it's probably ok. The turrets could be less stupidly large for hunting, but at $750 I don't think you'll find much better for the price.
    -There is a Bushnell LRTS 4.5-18x44 on TM at the moment which is probably your best option to be honest, but the guy want too much for it (IMO) for around $1200 it'd be a steal, if it were illuminated I'd say $1500 would be an ok price.
    -There are a few options for Element Optics also, but I've not used any of them so can't comment.
    -Vortex Strike Eagle 3-18x44 (new 34mm version not the older 30mm model) a bit heavy and 34mm tube, reticle not ideal but at least it's illuminated.

There are some other options but they are either too expensive, too heavy, or wrong combination of thin reticle/exposed turrets for hunting purposes.
    You can use a thin FFP reticle for hunting (I do it all the time) but I don't want to recommend it as you may be left with a sour taste and swear off FFP, which many people have done.

Thanks @Beetroot, that’s a great summary of options. I’ve got a March 2.5-25x42 on 7BM, which I like, but from memory pretty sure it’s SFP.

I have a March 3-24 but it lives my my target rifle. I chose a nikko 4-16 FFP to go on my 45-70 and its copped an absolute hiding. Touch wood, still going.

Don't buy stuff made in the PRC unless you want to fund a future invasion of Taiwan.

I’ll be doing a review of the Maven RS1.2 shortly when mine arrive. Highly rated reliable scope, but 26oz. I don’t care about the weight, I want rugged and reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter_Nick View Post
    I’ll be doing a review of the Maven RS1.2 shortly when mine arrive. Highly rated reliable scope, but 26oz. I don’t care about the weight, I want rugged and reliable.
    The 2.5-15x44 ?

From what I understand, it's a close copy (by the same OEM, Light Optical Works) of the Bushnell LRTS/LRHS series.

Price is stupidly high though... Rokslide groupies have been hyping it up a lot. Don't think the reticle would suit me but keen to hear more.

Quote Originally Posted by caberslash View Post
    The 2.5-15x44 ?

From what I understand, it's a close copy (by the same OEM, Light Optical Works) of the Bushnell LRTS/LRHS series.

Price is stupidly high though... Rokslide groupies have been hyping it up a lot. Don't think the reticle would suit me but keen to hear more.
    Yeah that’s the one. It’s the reticle that has me sold to be honest, possibly the best available for hunting- but will report back when I actually get my hands on them.
    Based on the specs I found the price ok, I could pick up two for the price of one NX8
    Ross Nolan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by caberslash View Post
    The 2.5-15x44 ?

I'm not sure anyone really knows how related each of the designs are other than LOW themselves, and I doubt they would be giving the information out to many people.

The price isn't too bad, the Bushnell LRHS/TS was around $1400 when they first came out.
    I'm not interested in the Maven in the form it's in but I don't think the price is too bad at 1200USD.

I'm really keen to hear how you like it.

I'm currently deciding between that and a S&B 3-12x42 with the P3L, but the sporadic availability of the Mavern will probably push me towards the S&B. 4.8 mills on the BDC will get me to 750m, so that's plenty, although more would be nice.
    Hunter_Nick likes this.

The S&B Klassik was definitely a contender when I was looking, but the single turn turret put me off. To be fair, I probably won’t use more than 4.8mil - but might

The Original Striker
    If I was going FFP I'd certainly wonder how these stack up

https://zerotech.co.nz/p/3-18x50mm-t...ad-riflescope/
    Bigger Better Faster Stronger
    Handle the Jandle, or get off the Beach

The Original Striker

Quote Originally Posted by striker View Post
    If I was going FFP I'd certainly wonder how these stack up

https://zerotech.co.nz/p/3-18x50mm-t...ad-riflescope/
    I wonder where they are made - I'm looking for not from China.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Nolan View Post
    I wonder where they are made - I'm looking for not from China.
    If you extracted everything made in China from your life you’d probably be living in a cave naked.
    Jwabfrog likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 55six View Post
    If you extracted everything made in China from your life you’d probably be living in a cave naked.
    Maybe so, but when I do have a choice I will do what pleases me. And it pleases me to not buy made in China when possible.