Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Ammo Direct Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Hand held thermal...

I have an Infiray cell phone one from the nightvision website. Works really well. Picks up deer about 1km, away pretty easy. Works well on cold mornings and overcast days too. Less than $1000 and also very lightweight which would be a big advantage if lugging deep into public land. Comments from a couple of friends is the image quality is not significantly worse that the 2.5-3k monoculars.
    Trout and uk_exile like this.

Juicy do you have the T2 or xh15 version? Was talking about them with a mate saying they look like a decent option. Is it something you would risk in wetter conditions or fair weather only?

The Sytong LRF models are excellent.. have compared it to comparable pulsar and Pard models.. and all the lads picked the Sytong for best picture/identification, over multiple distances.
    Having the 1x base magnification means scanning areas can be done much quicker than a 4x base mag, handy!

LRF is a game changer with thermal, as distances can be difficult to ascertain in the dark.
    I use one for pest control (XS03-35LRF) and it's a game changer when coupled with a NV scope on the 22LR.

I can't recommend NVNZ enough - Ken was brilliant to deal with and provides excellent after sale service (if required).

Definitely a rabbit hole.. from memory, NETD, Taille pixels and Resolution pixels are key factors.. but talk to Ken and other in the know about it... or spend a couple of nights on youtube
    Micky Duck and BSA270 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake77 View Post
    Juicy do you have the T2 or xh15 version? Was talking about them with a mate saying they look like a decent option. Is it something you would risk in wetter conditions or fair weather only?
    I have taken it out in relatively light rain and its always been fine. You do have to use it on your cell phone so that will get wet too. I wouldn’t want it getting too wet mind you. Yes its the T2.

And to Jukes post, yes range finding abilities would be very handy on a thermal at night. Very hard to tell how far you are from a deer or whatever when you are trying to sneak up on them. Quite frustrating not being able to tell to get set up for a shot etc. Not such a problem if you use it during daylight hours though.

+1 for the Sytong XS03-35LRF & Ken and team at NVNZ. Brilliant piece of kit
    Jukes likes this.

Love my Pulsar XM-30