Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Ammo Direct Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree208Likes

Thread: Looking for a good all around rifle

Second hand t3 in any 08 case will do you well
    18" barrel with a suppressor and a vx3hd 3.5-10x40
    Add a carbon stock if you really want and your away.
    7mmsaum, BRADS and Shearer like this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

STC that is not good advice and that is what the man asked for--half worn out well there are hundreds of second hand available - have not seen gun racks in shops full up like right now - or the variety on here and trade me - and many with less than 200 rounds thru them - even say a Remington 700 from 1985 with 1000 rounds is hardly worn out - ideal - well 308 7x57 270 25-06 30-06 6.5x55 7mm-08 280 etc etc etc are all ideal for what he wants and ammo available - I dont dislike modern Tikka or 6.5 Creed more but they are not the ideal they are made out to be - rather they are sufficient for the task
    Micky Duck and woods223 like this.

Careful buying in 308, 243, 270, 7x57mm, 6.5x55 will get you a accurate older rifle with a 70% or better bore that will kill anything you want out to medium range hunting distances well under $1000. My cheapest us a Midland 270, blue/wood came with rings and scope, one owner, little use $350. What I use most are a Interarms Mark X 7x57mm ($425 bare rifle,Ramline stock ) and a Zastava 243, blue /wood, Leupold Scope, $600

Had to thread them all which was extra. Best buy was a M98 unbranded 270Win, 26in barrel, steel rings and no- name scope with Gunworks Can. On the heavy side to carry, very very accurate as bought, $520. Probably a Zastava action.
    Micky Duck and woods223 like this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

OK , here’s my take on this subject.

Caliber / Cartridge -

The first question that needs to be asked is how much experience do you have with Recoil ?
    The worst thing you can do is “ over power “ yourself and become recoil sensitive which is a real problem to overcome if you are one of those afflicted .
    Don’t forget that the lighter a rifle is the more it boots , and weight is a serious consideration in a hunting rifle .

You also mentioned an all rounder , so the ability to shoot light to heavy projectiles depending on the target species is a major consideration

So….. my suggestion is

6.5mm ( 6.5 CM , 6.5x55 , 6.5 Grendal etc )
    25 cal ( 25/06 )
    6mm ( 243 , 6mm Rem , 6mmARC , 6mmCM )

I feel that if you go smaller than 6mm (eg .223 , 222 ) then you are moving out of the “ all rounder “ area .

My pick of the above is either 6.5 CM or the .243 because of availability of ammo and firearm choices you get with them .

Rifle Brand / Type -

Howa , Tikka are the two obvious choices . You hear them mentioned all the time for a reason , they work and are extremely cost effective.

Optics -

Keep it simple , don’t go overpowering yourself with to much magnification or complicated reticles etc .
    Leupold , Vortex spring to mind because of their warranty/ lifetime guarantee ( something that should be considered)

Secondhand for both the rifle and optic is definitely a good option if the condition and barrel count is good .

So… my advice

By a good condition secondhand Howa or Tikka with a Leupold Scope in good mounts in 6.5 CM ( chances are it will come with a suppressor and even if it doesn’t it’s not the end of the world ) , buy a good selection of different ammo and see what it likes .

Go Shoot Stuff
    199p, Bagheera, Roarless20 and 1 others like this.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

STC
    Its shocking how a bunch of the "old guys" are desperately trying to sell their old shit (oh yeah its really accurate - thats why they are trying to sell it) to a new unsuspecting hunter...

hands off!

Second hand is fine, but only if you know the guy, have a chance to test fire it first and check it with a borescope!
    caberslash and Param like this.

Why not go see this guy in Darfield

https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....-6-5cm-105389/

It's modern, quality, a modern cartridge with all the benefits that comes with that, probably shoots well enough for hunting, and it's cheap

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Why not go see this guy in Darfield

https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....-6-5cm-105389/

It's modern, quality, a modern cartridge with all the benefits that comes with that, probably shoots well enough for hunting, and it's cheap
    Good suggestion. It’s a good price. Was thinking about it myself but don’t need another caliber. 223 and 308 has it more than covered for me.

Quote Originally Posted by STC View Post
    Its shocking how a bunch of the "old guys" are desperately trying to sell their old shit (oh yeah its really accurate - thats why they are trying to sell it) to a new unsuspecting hunter...

hands off!

Second hand is fine, but only if you know the guy, have a chance to test fire it first and check it with a borescope!
    Ahh, nah. Have bought all my "old shit" rifles from unknown vendors in a variety of calibers. Only ever had one I was not happy with as it turned out different to description and that was off this forum. The seller took it back without issue and resold it at his asking price to someone who valued it for what it actually was. With one exception all my 2nd hand rifles, other than 303s in various states, have been in excellent cond. The one exception is an Interarms Mk X in 308 with a 60-70% bore, a little light rust at muzzle end of bore from suppressor being left on and yet it is still plenty accurate to 200m under which the vast majority of hunters shots are taken. For me its my el cheapo answer to 300BLK subsonic rigs..shooting 5 Walker 204gn HP cast bullets into a 3-4in group at 50m doing 960fps. Cough cough x5. Dropped my last fallow stag at 37m, shoulder shot, bang Flop. Sure if you want to shoot stuff at 500m you might want to buy latest bright shiny stuff upwards of $1500. But what % of hunters actually shoot their animals at those distances? Yeah I know some do, ( but you don't often hear about what they missed or wounded), and many more aspire to the capability, but really? Reality is likely most hunters take their quarry sub 250m. And the vast majority of those around 100m. Does not take a $$$ rifle to do that. The OPs 357mag will actually put plenty of meat in his freezer if thats what he wants.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Quote Originally Posted by STC View Post

hands off!

all likely true to some degree - and your comments on check bore scope great advice - but I do wonder about the many expensive specials in modern calibers that come up for sale to - very expensive action barrel stock 5-7k price tag and the excuse for sale is making room not used - well I do wonder sometimes if the real reason is disappointment - as for older forearms we will have to agree to disagree - an early Sako Forestor in .308 with a good barrell my first choice -second a new Sako 90 wood blued in .308 or a decent Sako 85

STC
    Millions of animals have been killed with spears for hundreds of thousands of years... are you going to try to sell your old tomatoe stakes next based on that?

Bolt action rifles can last decades (even centuries) if they are maintained well. But many people do not - which is why care must be taken buying second hand. A "bit" of rust is a clear sign proper care has not been taken...

The mininal savings a completely worn out rusty rifle that "shoots well enough for 100m") gives over a new (or relatively new second hand) with a proper stainless barrel is just not worth the hassle.

There are cheap and good options out there (gimp has pointed out an excellent option by the way). No need to go agricultural.

Good rifles are fun to shoot, shitty rifles (and scopes) waste ammo trying to figure out what is wrong and cost more in the end...
    MB and caberslash like this.

STC
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    all likely true to some degree - and your comments on check bore scope great advice - but I do wonder about the many expensive specials in modern calibers that come up for sale to - very expensive action barrel stock 5-7k price tag and the excuse for sale is making room not used - well I do wonder sometimes if the real reason is disappointment - as for older forearms we will have to agree to disagree - an early Sako Forestor in .308 with a good barrell my first choice -second a new Sako 90 wood blued in .308 or a decent Sako 85
    agreed! quite a few "customized" tikkas out there in fancy "wildcard" calibres, selling for multiple ks more than a new one because they had the bolt fluted and fitted a hardy barrel...

There is a reason those do not sell...

me old mate there is a very clear distinction between old great and old buggered - I would not sell such a rifle to a new hunter - but a 40 year old Shultz and Larsen in 7x57 with low round count and well looked after - worth now $2.5k - now what is agricultural about that - the value of some is rising while a new Tikka is going down as soon as one leaves the shop - a Sako Vixen I bought for $650 some years ago now at least $2500 - Foresters the same not so much the Finnbears they were always a little heavy - but I agree STC a knackered Parker Hale in 308 who would want it - when I talk older second hand I do mean quality ones - new hunters need someone to have a good look at it - I am always happy to - and many shops will give a warranty even six months
    Jhon likes this.

STC
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    me old mate there is a very clear distinction between old great and old buggered - I would not sell such a rifle to a new hunter - but a 40 year old Shultz and Larsen in 7x57 with low round count and well looked after - worth now $2.5k - now what is agricultural about that - the value of some is rising while a new Tikka is going down as soon as one leaves the shop - a Sako Vixen I bought for $650 some years ago now at least $2500 - Foresters the same not so much the Finnbears they were always a little heavy - but I agree STC a knackered Parker Hale in 308 who would want it - when I talk older second hand I do mean quality ones - new hunters need someone to have a good look at it - I am always happy to - and many shops will give a warranty even six months
    Yeah some rifles rise in value. fair point.

Thats the other question: would you take that sako vixen hunting in the bush when its raining?

So you have old, nice and valuable (like an oldtimer car - too nice to use) and old and buggered (might be worth the hassle for a tinkerer.or collector etc - but not a new hunter)

hmm good point about the vixen - well I would look at it like this - a mint one all original with nice wood likely not- yes would be safe queen collectors piece - but get one with a buggered barrel - put a new truflight or similar on it cut back to 20 inch suppressor see if one could get a carbon stock made for it -and yes I would - cost should be do-able for 2K and one has that beautiful action - same as a Forester - and again an older Parker Hale rebarrell it - they are a decent mauser action after all - Shultz and Larsen my dream rifle yes I would just have to use it - just a pity when they do come up for sale so many are in obscure ( well for us ) European calibers -

You can buy brand new package deal howa for your budget with change. Go see Amanda at gun works and walk out with brand new howa suppressed and scoped in.308 or .270 and be happy camper able to shoot whatever you want to out to 300-350 yards with no fuss or bother. To 250 with a simple point n shoot. Ammo always available...and yes put 243 in the mix too.if they have one in stock.well why not. Slightly handicapped if after bugger animal or at longish end of range.but many thousands of animals never knew that when died cleanly.
    Barefoot, Bagheera and Param like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters