Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Ammo Direct

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree208Likes

Thread: Looking for a good all around rifle

bjp
    Going back to the original post, of all the cartridges you listed, I'd say 308 is the only one really suitable for an all-round rifle for most game, unless you are planning on all shots being closer than 200m. If you are buying ammo rather than loading, that does limit your options for versatility, but 308 will knock over anything you want to shoot, as will alot of other calibres. But 243 (6mm) might be a bit small for some longer range hunting?

25-303. Don't even have to aim with these. Just the sonic wave of the bullet passing within 10 ft will put most things down.
    Micky Duck and csmiffy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by whanahuia View Post
    Yeah Im not sdugesting it as an option. Just that its a really good little cartridge that should be more popular and perfect for the situation described, instead of dying out.
    the mighty EBRG twoforfree has been cartridge I have thrown shit at for 35 years..now the 6.5costsmore gets that crap directed its way,the humble .243w has always been a good option for lighter shooters and those starting out...suppressors have somewhat leveled the playing field but the .243 is still as good as it always have been and even more so now...light recoil is even less suppressed... very very few of them arent super accurate and easy to shoot well...poke a 100grn in boiler room and beasty is going nowhere other than home for dinner.

the 257roberts has been left behind like most quarterbores, the 308 and 243 bracket it too well and some would argue the costsmore is even closer to it hurting it more.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Sounds like a good option especially considering the prices.

Primarily small game but I'd definitely like to keep the freezer full with venison. Is .243 enough for the occasional deer or pig?
    whanahuia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HindmarshLM07 View Post
    Primarily small game but I'd definitely like to keep the freezer full with venison. Is .243 enough for the occasional deer or pig?
    OK - knowing that I change my recommendation of 6.5CM to .243 but……. Maybe now ….. the .223 comes into the picture.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

Yes
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

So a .243 for the occasional deer and small game then get a 308, 30-06 etc for larger game and distance in future?
    whanahuia and bjp like this.

Is that enough for a deer or pig every now and again?

if your not that experienced at shooting animals 243 and up will give you a greater margin for error
    vulcannz likes this.
    may be sarcastic may be a bad joke

yep

So a .243 for the occasional deer and small game then get a 308, 30-06 etc for larger game and distance in future?
    be easier to tell you what I have used last 40 years a .22 for possums rabbits hares target work a .222 for fallow meat hunts .308 for reds roar trips they do all my work and I really dont see any reason for changing they do the job happy with them I did have a .270 for reds and only sold it because of the rifle not the caliber - changes I would make if I suddenly had some extra coin - would like to try a 22-250 for fallow why little more range than the .222 now if I was much younger and I was south island bound thar etc a 7mmrem mag for that longer range work - so there ya go- all of them ammo available so reloading not needed - more than 40 years ago was supplied .222 308 and 270 so nothing else was considered
    GSP HUNTER and woods223 like this.

As Gimp says, shot placement is important. With the 243 you should limit your deer shooting to distances where you can hit a 5-10cm target under hunting conditions. With a 270 your target area is 15-20cm. This is one reason why small cartridges are essentially short range cartridges. The others are the vagries of wind slope and altitude. Look for the thread on “dinner plate challenge” and try yourself out.

For the big south island walllabies, a 223 is ideal.

243 with a fast twist barrel would future proof it, 6.5creed 708 are also very similar but with a little more weight in the bullet
    when someone asks me what I think they should get first I usually push them towards a howa 708 as a very good low cost option, talley rings and a simple leupold scope and a dpt suppressor
    gimp, Bagheera and STC like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    As Gimp says, shot placement is important. With the 243 you should limit your deer shooting to distances where you can hit a 5-10cm target under hunting conditions. With a 270 your target area is 15-20cm. This is one reason why small cartridges are essentially short range cartridges. The others are the vagries of wind slope and altitude. Look for the thread on “dinner plate challenge” and try yourself out.

For the big south island walllabies, a 223 is ideal.

What part of the animal are you targeting with a "5-10" cm shot placement with .243 vs "15-20" cm with .270? Why is it different? What bullet are you basing this performance off and why?

"small" cartridges simply actually are not short range cartridges - any cartridge using a poor bullet is a short range (or just don't use it) cartridge.

The laws of physics and the animals aren't reading the numbers of the headstamp on your brass. All they care about is the performance of the small bit of lead and copper flying through the air and expanding through tissue. That is entirely related to the specific bullet and it's characteristics. A poor .270 bullet will work substantially worse than a good .243 bullet; and a good .243 bullet works perfectly out to such a range where the shooter can no longer reliably place it (this applies to any bullet) or it does not have enough speed left to expand.

There is nothing wrong or limiting about using a .243, other 6mm, or small 6.5mm for conventional hunting in NZ. Use good bullets whatever cartridge you select to deliver them. They will happily and reliably kill everything in the country.
    BRADS, 7mm Rem Mag, Jhon and 1 others like this.