Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Ammo Direct

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
Like Tree208Likes

Thread: Looking for a good all around rifle

what I heard was that 6.5 CM had been superseded by better - I guess rifles will still be available in it and ammo available

Yea my reading oif it ws that the PRC is meant to be a short action catridge and is super ceding the small 7mm (7m08, 284) and 6.5 CM's.
    Just not sure as while case lengths are simalar the cartridge OAL of the PRC is 0.1" longer than most Short action mags will take.
    It also runs higher pressures than the CM family and other 308 family cartridges.
    Z
    Opps, just reviewed previous long posts on here about the 6.5 PRC vs CM etc from earlier this year. Looks like this has been well covered by people with knowledge of both.
    Last edited by ZQLewis; 10-07-2024 at 09:04 PM.

I’ve just revisited this thread from start to finish , and after reading and digesting every response I have come to the conclusion of …..

Just buy a Rifle and start using and learning both how to shoot it and all of it’s failings and it’s capabilities
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    To be clear I wouldn't recommend that this bloke get a .223 because it is difficult to get good factory ammunition for it that uses decent bullets.

I would strongly recommend a .243, 6mm or 6.5 Creedmoor though.
    Agreed. Low recoil and plenty of ammo about.
    Husky1600#2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ZQLewis View Post
    Yea my reading oif it ws that the PRC is meant to be a short action catridge and is super ceding the small 7mm (7m08, 284) and 6.5 CM's.
    Just not sure as while case lengths are simalar the cartridge OAL of the PRC is 0.1" longer than most Short action mags will take.
    It also runs higher pressures than the CM family and other 308 family cartridges.
    Z
    Opps, just reviewed previous long posts on here about the 6.5 PRC vs CM etc from earlier this year. Looks like this has been well covered by people with knowledge of both.
    The prc will never super eyed there midpower classmates. There's a reason why the top sellers are 308 and 6.5cm.

You sacrifice cost, recoil, rifle and ammo availibility moving to the magnum.

In the pr competition circles where the 6.5cm was first popularised the cartridge has been superceeded by 6mm offerings, this hasn't and likely won't filter into the genpop however, as the requirments of Jo schmo hunter/weekend plinker are way different to the competition guys trying to eek out an extra cm of wind drift.

6.5cm has been by far the most successful cartridge launch in recent history and is here to stay for the long term. For good reason to it's an effective well designed midrange cartridge that tweaks and improves upon a couple of it's predecessors shortcomings.

Agreed but the main reason for 6mms in PRS type comps is lower recoil - can shoot better scores and spot spots more easily - something like 6 Dasher gets kinda smoked by 6.5mm with heavies for drift