Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Ammo Direct Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Mauser M18 223 Thoughts

Keep us posted please, thinking to swap my slow twist 22.250 for one or rebarrel to a Valkyrie.
    McNotty likes this.
    I'm trying to get to heaven before they shut the door.

Name:  10CE5444-FBC5-49BD-B291-D4CF25642ADF.jpeg
Views: 212
Size:  288.4 KB
    Name:  FA31A701-9CA8-4538-BE64-489EDA1AC9D4.jpeg
Views: 218
Size:  238.6 KB

Good enough for this fella.
    55gr SP ADI ammo

On paper, adjusted close. Then a 3 shot group that is bloody fine by me.
    Magazine is shit to load but you can’t win them all. Trigger beautiful. Interesting to see if barrel speeds up at all.
    Job done.
    veitnamcam and nor-west like this.

Most excellent!
    Looks like the scope tracks ok. They seem to have a good rep.
    If the 65's group like that you should be happy and the deer very unhappy.

Cripes, for $1k that has to be the best deal ever.
    Last edited by Tahr; 23-06-2024 at 02:37 PM.
    Trout likes this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by McNotty View Post
    All sorted. Thanks @Tentman for the offer but they had some out back at the store.
    Sonic suppressor and Crimson Trace?? scope.
    Attachment 253166

They also had 300win mag Carbonlite for $4700, Howa M1100 scoped and suppressed for $600, Rem mag X bolt for $1000
    Thats a bargain,well done and enjoy.

Took it out today with some reloads. All but one group was with BM2, apart from the best group of the lot which was a sample from Tahr that was 2206H.
    Was the first time using CCI primers and I had three misfires, so a mixture of 3 and 4 shot groups. Unsure whether it’s the harder primers or I didn’t seat them correctly.
    Feel like I wasn’t shooting the flashest today but who knows.
    First lot are 65gr GKs and second lot are labelled as per projectile. Loaded up to 0.2 gr over max in the GKs and saw no issues with pressure.
    Name:  96F37418-7D34-44DF-8818-2E81C883B4CB.jpeg
Views: 155
Size:  450.3 KB

Name:  49D4F65D-ED73-469F-B062-A1A15D38C471.jpeg
Views: 156
Size:  432.5 KB

For the sake of useless information, Mauser recommends 5 newton metres as the prescribed action screw torque on the M18. The cause of the misfires may be the grease inside the bolt. Mauser are very, very, very generous with the grease on the firing pin spring! I had a couple of misfires in mine with hard primers in surplus military ball but once I cleaned out the grease and lubricated things lightly with Break Free then there were no further issues even with the hard primers in the military ball.
    veitnamcam and McNotty like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Krameranzac View Post
    For the sake of useless information, Mauser recommends 5 newton metres as the prescribed action screw torque on the M18. The cause of the misfires may be the grease inside the bolt. Mauser are very, very, very generous with the grease on the firing pin spring! I had a couple of misfires in mine with hard primers in surplus military ball but once I cleaned out the grease and lubricated things lightly with Break Free then there were no further issues even with the hard primers in the military ball.
    Thanks mate. I did notice the grease when I pulled apart. I’ll clean some of it out. Tightened mine to 40ish inch pounds so I’m on the money there then.

Bringing this thread back up, just picked one of these in .308. Want to run some factory ammo first before using handloads. I have some handloads left over from the rifle I just sold that are middle of the range so should be good to go on them once sighted in with factory first.
    McNotty likes this.
    Happy Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    Bringing this thread back up, just picked one of these in .308. Want to run some factory ammo first before using handloads. I have some handloads left over from the rifle I just sold that are middle of the range so should be good to go on them once sighted in with factory first.
    I’m loving it. Bolt is smooth as smooth, trigger just as good. Magazine…..meh you get the hang of it. Doesn’t worry me an extra 10 seconds to load. Seems to shoot pretty well too. Little bit too long in length with suppressor so it’ll probably lose a couple inches at some stage.
    Tahr likes this.