Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Ammo Direct

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Needing advice for a new lightweight rifle

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Bush hunting? Everyone has their scope preferences, but surely 3-9x would be plenty?

As for rifles, all the obvious options for a factory(ish) superlite rifle have been mentioned. The Howa Superlite that everyone seems to have fallen in love with is worth considering, but not all reviews are positive. Other contenders are the Howa/Elude stock and Kimber. Kimbers are not easy to track down though. I recently went through the same thing and ended up with a Tikka because it ticked most of my boxes. It's light enough at 2.6kg (16" barrel), but it doesn't compete with the other rifles in this respect.
    Yeah the Tikka route is definitely one that’s looking like it would tick a lot of the boxes. What are the downsides to a 16 inch Tikka?

I haven’t really shot much in the way of other calibres. I’ve only ever really used 6.5x55, 270 and 44mag. How would 308 be in the recoil department on a lighter rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by Newtothis View Post
    I haven’t really shot much in the way of other calibres. I’ve only ever really used 6.5x55, 270 and 44mag. How would 308 be in the recoil department on a lighter rifle?
    Not profoundly different to any of the calibres you have listed above, if you shoot heavier than 150gn unsuppressed you start to notice, but 150gn (and under) suppressed is quite comfortable to shoot.
    Micky Duck likes this.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtothis View Post
    Yeah the Tikka route is definitely one that’s looking like it would tick a lot of the boxes. What are the downsides to a 16 inch Tikka?
    Just the weight compared to those other rifles, but it's still a light rifle. I'd prefer a floorplate rather than detachable magazine, but that is personal preference and only a minor complaint.

Tikkas are good. I have a couple with vx3s on. Nice carry and shooting rifle. Be perfect rifle with a drop floorplate.

Wilsons whanganui and gunworks have some at old price.

STC
    This would be an option:

https://youtu.be/-rx4uTfl3iY

available in 6.5 creedmor or 308.

If shooting range is below 300 meters I would go for the 308, shorten the barrel to 16" and add a dpt.

Have a look at this thread for ideas: https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....-rifle-101518/
    You will see some builds with a lot of commonalities.

Quote Originally Posted by STC View Post
    This would be an option:

https://youtu.be/-rx4uTfl3iY

available in 6.5 creedmor or 308.

If shooting range is below 300 meters I would go for the 308, shorten the barrel to 16" and add a dpt.
    So.. “a DPT” is synonymous with a suppressor now ? And so it should be !
    Like “a thermarest” and “a primus”.
    Barry the hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    thats okay but a rifle recommendation on here should not be a Tikka in 6.5 CDM just saying lots better or equal out there- well my cheek for the day-man I feel better

STC
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    No.

dpt is a brand of suppressors that are light-weight. Hardy would be another option, but i prefer dpt due to being able to clean and it being modular.

STC
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    thats okay but a rifle recommendation on here should not be a Tikka in 6.5 CDM just saying lots better or equal out there- well my cheek for the day-man I feel better
    The OP asked for recommendationa on lightweight rifles, not whether you disliked a particular brand (for reasons that are irrelevant)

If you have other options maybe let him hear about them?

If its for majority bush hunting, a M94 30-30 16-20" is a very good bush rifle, carries well and suitable to 200m with irons, or any other lever action in 30-30, .32 cal or 35 Remington.
    I've got two light weight rifles, a highly modified Kimber and a Barrett, both in short action 6.5 cal, both under 6lbs scoped, but I also take the 30-30 regularly,
    I've sold every hunting rifle I've ever owned, that was over 4kg scoped, about 7lbs is the sweat spot for shootable off hand, and weight.
    erniec likes this.

how big is his budget - the world is his - if I had money to burn okay a Sako Forester or similar AV Sako action in a modern lightweight stock .308 /270 top quality barrel - fluted - 18.5 inch but thats me I choose those earlier Sako actions because of quality - or buy a fierce - cant find anything bad said about them - but he can buy lightweight specials what does he like - I just bite every time someone says Tikka in well enough said

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    Carbon stock
    dump the scope and get a vx3 3.5-10
    That combo plus a DPT on a 16" T3 is sub 3kg.
    7mmsaum likes this.

Tikka just has the problem its action is long enough for a Rem Mag so not very elegant.
    I believe CZ make a x39 sized action which would be fitting to the subsonic role.