Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Ammo Direct

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: new gun, any recommendations?

Tikka T3 in 260 rem

Quote Originally Posted by 260rem View Post
    Tikka T3 in 260 rem
    As a first gun? Choice of factory ammo is not the best or cheapest. Good calibre though.

Rem 700, Savage, Howa, Tikka, Sako etc.. 7-08 or .270
    If you don't get Dirt, Blood or Grease under your nails it ain't a hobby

I shot a 6.5x55 T3 for the first time a couple of weeks ago and was impressed.
    With a suppressor recoil was virtually non exsistant and it was bloody accurate!

you can eliminate some by what you want to use it for... IE if you are likley to mainly hunt bush 18-22" barrel, If you think you are going to get in to the LongRange side of things with plenty of practice 22-24" barrel

If you think you are not going to like carrying a heavy rifle that also helps the choices

Money you want to spend helps deside as A blaser will shoot very well and last a life time....but if things are tight get a cheaper rifle bare and get better mounts and scope than they offer in the package deals as that is where most of the rifles I have helped fix the way they shoot have fallen down.... A good sturdy set of mounts and a reliable scope will fix a lot of rifles that are supposadly shit rifles!

Detachable mag or not is another thing to think of....I hate detachable mags as they get left behind, lost etc. Hinged floor plate or not, Much prefer hinged floor plate myself to drop the rounds out.

Have a look and see what you like

If I was buying one ATM in the budget end of things Marlin or Howa would be the ones I would likley go...Marlin most likley. I saw a cheaper Mod 7 the other day.... new budget ones, sort of a SPS of the mod 7 world and later get the carbon fiber stock etc..

Oh yeah thats another thing to think about... are you the type of person to tinker... make better.... pimp your gear? Get one bits are available for
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

Lots of good advice in many of the above posts.

Get into a few shops and see what feels good to you in your hands and suits your build .

As you have said your a bit new to it go for a common caliber 7/08 308 .270 as they will do most jobs very well and theres a good range of ammo stocked at most places.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Groan. Welcome to "Flinchville". Poor Bugger- prob take him 6 months to figure out he's not the problem......and another 6 months to get rid of the flinch.
    Sadly I have seen this first hand as a customer came in convinced he needed a magnum and no matter what we said he could not be convinced to even come out with us to the range that weekend to try out a few guns.

He brought it back with only 10 rounds fired to go to a more manageable caliber

Can't go wrong with a howa! howa in 7mm08 would be my choice if i were starting over again. not much boot and ammo thats not going to break the wallet!

sturg4
    Go straight for a 223.....Sako, Tikka take your pick there are a few others around that give good value for money ....You will want one one day anyway so you might as well get it now..

Ammo...Reloads are so cheap you will end up not only shooting all the deer pigs and goats you want but you will use it on wallabys, rabbits and hares and because of this extra use you will gain the confidence needed to be able to consistantly place your shots where you want them. Confidence in your ability to put a bullet where you want to is just about everything in this game.

Your Wife and kids as they grow up will thank you for choosing this calibre..It wont make them flinch and your kids can use one from a very young age.

Think of a rifle more as a surgeons scalpel rather than a sledgehammer. You dont use a sledgehammer to crack a walnut. Get used to placing your bullet where it kills cleanly without destroying a great deal of good meat. With good bullet placement you should be able to eat right up to the bullet hole.