Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Ammo Direct Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Rifle hard case - Super Cheap still best value?

This popped up, not the cheapest, but if i was to go traveling then this will be it.
    https://twinneedle.co.nz/products/gun-case-combo

Quote Originally Posted by JoelA View Post
    What length barrel is your rifle in that case @McNotty? Looks like it just fits? Cheers
    My remington 700 with a 28inch barrel fits fine, in a krg bravo stock as well
    Using Tapatalk

Another cheaper option is airsoft cases.
    Less hype and price gouging due to the clientele.
    https://www.unlimitedairsoftshop.co....gun-cases-bags
    I've got a real short one (gun case) but its deep and I can fit two 22LR sort of crossed over diagnonally.

I find it good to have the case as short as possible so it fits in the boot of the car.

Its annoying that a checked bag can be 23 kg but a gun case only weight about 7kg so what else can you pack into it ?
    A gun case with a bit of extra space can fit optics, cleaning gear, suppressor, tools etc. anything heavy but not the ammo of course,
    Once I packed a whole lot of goat legs in on the way home. They saw the bones around the gun on the airport X Ray and called me in for a "please explain".
    308, Micky Duck, MB and 2 others like this.

Yup, after a lot of looking, funnily enough the Airsoft shop above had what seemed to have a good price/size/sturdiness ratio. Even tried a company that did cases (incl. custom) for music industry/roadies, but a bit expensive in comparison. (https://roadcases.co.nz/collections/explorer-cases)

Beyond the Airsoft shop, NZ Target Shooting website used to sell some good ones too, now it seems found here: https://www.shootingstuff.co.nz/anschutz-gun-case-mega/ and only one left of these: https://www.shootingstuff.co.nz/286-ahg-transport-case/

SCA one is bloody sturdy and can't fit 2-3 rifles, but doesn't fit width-wise across my not-small vehicle, so have to stand it up, or go diagonal/angled in the boot. I also found out it's too big for some of the smaller airlines with fun planes (e.g. SoundsAir).

I bought one of the Supermax ones, in a pinch, from FirearmTown. The hole that the lock goes through was comedy thin, and one of the clips tore through on its first outing, so I returned it, and after some debate, got a refund. Absolute shit - don't waste your money. This is what led to the long search for something decent. Flambeau looked good, and do a nice double, but expensive compared to the ones linked above.
    bunji likes this.

Trout and Jukes like this.

MB
    Just bought a new case. My requirements were a little different as I wanted it to be short, under a metre in length. Not so difficult you would think, but as per many of the links above, everything was sold out and shipping from overseas was either not possible or ridiculously expensive.

If you remove the barreled action from the stock you dont need a case that long.

STC
    Quote Originally Posted by Fee Knicks View Post
    If you remove the barreled action from the stock you dont need a case that long.
    with a hacksaw you can make the case requirement even shorter :-)

Undercover
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketpl...ing/4786441306[/QUOTE]

This post reminds me that a couple of times when in airport check-in queues with a rifle case on the cart I have had inquisitive people ask what instrument I play Sometimes say I am a soloist in the 375 orchestra of divine sound. That draws blank stares or comments that they've never heard of it and I enjoy leaving them wondering.

I have one of these, the bag inside is nice and has handy loops to hang from a car head rest, but the case itself is just a generic injection moulded plastic case with their logo on it. I think my pelicase is better made than the hard part of twin needles

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Just bought a new case. My requirements were a little different as I wanted it to be short, under a metre in length. Not so difficult you would think, but as per many of the links above, everything was sold out and shipping from overseas was either not possible or ridiculously expensive.
    What did you end up going for?

I see some guys with folding but stock rifles go for a shorter tool box style hardcase which is shorter but deeper.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    What did you end up going for?

I see some guys with folding but stock rifles go for a shorter tool box style hardcase which is shorter but deeper.
    34 inch shotgun hard case for $120 in the last sale at Gun City. It takes my Bergara 16" barrel single shot assembled, but without suppressor. There's a couple of places I shoot where I don't want to be faffing around assembling a rifle at the side of the road. I would have liked something a little longer, but it seemed to be this case, or something much longer.

I’m a Pelican convert. Probably other options. They are built to last 100 international flights. I have carted firearms all around the globe in them and although they get battered they never fail. I use the short case for my take downs, and the full size for the non take downs. The larger case takes two rifles depending on scopes.

Name:  IMG_1793.jpeg
Views: 198
Size:  3.99 MB
    Micky Duck, Tech and shananah like this.

Classic! I bought a snowboard bag to go over my rifle case. I now hear much less commentary about what I might be carrying as I walk through the airport.
    shananah likes this.
    bunji likes this.

Caretaker
    Put your rifle in a guitar case

Sorted
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time