Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Ammo Direct

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Rifle hard case - Super Cheap still best value?

I picked up a SCA case today.
    It's not as well built as some of the high end tough case/tool boxes on the market, but it's surprisingly good.

The foam seems like it's good quality, the latches, handles and wheels are all pretty well built and look like they shouldn't break off on first usage.
    The cases is rather large though, almost too big. The case will fit two rifle with big scopes and long barrels really easily.

Here's a picture if a 25.5" barreled Tikka, and there is a tonne of room spare.

Name:  SCA Case.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  261.3 KB
    Bryan, McNotty and John P like this.

I modified the case shared here
    with the hard foam came with the rifle for better fitment. The egg foam works but it is a bit too soft.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Beetroot likes this.

I have gone back to a soft sided case for some uses. The SCA case is good but as people have said, its too long to fit across the back seat or boot in a lot of vehicles. Strapped to the roof rack its not exactly out of site.

Buy a ute!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by eamars View Post

with the hard foam came with the rifle for better fitment. The egg foam works but it is a bit too soft.
    Bolt needs to be transported separately from rifle
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    Buy a ute!!!!
    Had a few of them things over the years. Sometimes you develop a taste for other vehicles. I dont think I will be buying another, just to transport a case in. Gets hard to miss all the road cones in a ute as well you must know, living here.

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    I have gone back to a soft sided case for some uses. The SCA case is good but as people have said, its too long to fit across the back seat or boot in a lot of vehicles. Strapped to the roof rack its not exactly out of site.
    It's definitely a really long case.
    My Discovery lets me fold down the rear seats individually, and they fold completely flat so it's not going to be an issue.
    But if you had a Suzuki Swift and want to carry 3 rifles in these hard cases it might get tricky.
    johnd likes this.

I was very tempted by the AT-X Arlington was selling for 10k, didn't want to register my rifles though...
    What do you use the rifle for? Competition or just a range toy?

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    I was very tempted by the AT-X Arlington was selling for 10k, didn't want to register my rifles though...
    What do you use the rifle for? Competition or just a range toy?
    Primarily for PRS, sometimes for F class too.

The key feature I want from the rifle is the painless barrel swap and option for prefit barrels.
    Beetroot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by techno retard View Post
    Bolt needs to be transported separately from rifle
    Yes of course. The foam came with a spot for the bolt and it just seems perfectly fit.

Primarily for PRS, sometimes for F class too.

The key feature I want from the rifle is the painless barrel swap and option for prefit barrels.
    Yeah I was dead keen on an AT-X for those reasons.
    The whole prefit barrel thing doesn't work super well over here but I imagine if you have a smith you use frequently they could certainly start doing them.

Rifle is 6.5CM? How has it been going for you in PRS?
    Where is that white foam from?

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    Yeah I was dead keen on an AT-X for those reasons.
    The whole prefit barrel thing doesn't work super well over here but I imagine if you have a smith you use frequently they could certainly start doing them.

Rifle is 6.5CM? How has it been going for you in PRS?
    Where is that white foam from?
    Was planning to import some prefits from overseas. Unfortunately I haven't run into any gunsmith that can do the prefit jobs yet.

Yes the rifle is chambered in 6.5CM with 24" barrel.

The foam came with the rifle for which oddly fit into the SCA case nicely with little modification.

I initially bought a SCA hardcase but it was way too long to fit across my vehicles in the seats or in the boot so I returned it the next day.
    Instead I paid more and bought one of these https://richmondnz.co.nz/product/wea...-sealcase1127/

Just a rebrand of the SCA cases but not as long so it can actually fit in most vehicles.
    It will fit two shortish (20" barreled) scoped rifles in it or one longer barreled rifle on an angle.
    When I flew to the SI last November for a tahr hunt I fit my rifle, suppressor, bipod, 2 x trekking poles and camera tripod in it for the flight.

Name:  Resize_20240704_213833_3514.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  417.7 KB
    Beetroot, Micky Duck and shananah like this.

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    Had a few of them things over the years. Sometimes you develop a taste for other vehicles. I dont think I will be buying another, just to transport a case in. Gets hard to miss all the road cones in a ute as well you must know, living here.
    Miss all the road cones? Oh, is that something you have to do? I do in the little cars for the obvious reasons, but with the ute and especially with a trailer on it's a neat game to just try to clip the very edge of the cone's base and squirt it into the middle of the next lane. If you get it right you can park the cone in the middle of the lane stopping the flow of traffic and pissing off the TPMS crews no end. Silly bastards used to set the coned lanes up far to narrow, so it was either run the trailer into the crap on the left hand side or take out every cone on the right. Sorry, boys!

I still don't find the cases an issue with the Outlander-sized cars, the Pelican case does fit across the back seat of those and that's a full length 1750.
    308 likes this.