Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Ammo Direct Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Suppressors - what’s the go?

I've got a couple of Oceania Defence ones, an Alpine Hunter Magnum which is .30 cal up to .300winmag, and an UTU which is chambered for 9mm Para. The UTU really is a toy, I can't use it anywhere but an approved pistol range as I don't have a 9mm rifle. The Alpine Hunter on the other hand is bloody fantastic, very quiet, exceptionally light, and perfect for its namesake. I initially got it for my 6.5prc as apparently it is considered a magnum round, and requires the magnum version for any warranty claims to be valid, but I also use it on my .308 and it works wonders too.
    Edit: Just saw the won't break the bank comment... they are quite pricey, but well worth it in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    I have got a Hardy can that does that...Its not supposed to but it does......
    I had one as well it was repaired under warranty as it should never leak back to the shooter.
    It means the isolation tube is not sealed properly.

Sent from my CPH2531 using Tapatalk

I use DPT because they are NZ made and in the top tier. It might sound a bit churlish but I also support DPT because of their innovation and research and development. That’s where Gunworks have fallen behind.
    Hardy seem ok but DPT trump them for service.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by steeve View Post
    hey jaacko, not wanting to start any arguments haha but what made you want a 6.5CM? im just wating for my licence and looking at getting one aswell. what brand/model did you go with?
    Hey Steeve, I just saw your reply now - see my reply on the thread you started. I went with this cal because I’d shot it before and noticed the recoil is very manageable and I enjoyed shooting it too. My main concern was with the price of factory ammo but I figured I’m not gonna be going through loads of ammo and I made a friend in the last 6 months who reloads 6.5CM and would happily reload for me. It’s one of surprisingly many calibres which would do all I want it to, but its popularity and the fact my mate reloads them is what did it for me. I was also considering .243 as you are, and .308 due to the large amount of available factory ammo.

I’ve owned most of the major suppressors at one point or another and they all have strengths and weaknesses.

Seems a lot of Dpt fanboys on here and in my opinion, they’re light, cheaper but loud

By the time you add a stainless baffle so they can handle basic shooting or an extra baffle to make it quieter, you’ve lost any advantage you had with length, price or durability

Hardy’s are a lot better made and a lot quieter, but then they’re more expensive and dans definitely burnt some bridges on the customer service front

Gunworks are bombproof and quiet but heavy, first class customer service though

Maniatis is off his head lol, his new gen ones look good, his old ones didn’t perform well but he’s a few generations in now

Atec out performs any of the kiwi suppressors and the ability to quickly attach with a quarter turn and run one suppressor on
    Multiple rifles means you only need one . The adapters are expensive for what they are though ($120is)
    Philipo, rupert, BRADS and 3 others like this.

One thing that disappoints here is the lack of a dedicated small compact suppressor for the 22 centerfires. I would guess that 22H, 222, 223 etc would make up the loins share of rifles out there and while we can get options for large magnums even up to 50bmg , local offerings are limited to 40 +mm cans that can handle the 3006. So we look for short actions, short barrels and light weight but use a can thats designed to use 2-3 times the powder of the 223. Which is why Iv gone to the Danish built sonic 35. Stainless interior , every baffle has a stainless insert, with 4 its only 85mm forward of the muzzle, weighs 260gms and the last one cost me $299. I use one on my 243ai as well.

Name:  DSCN1575.JPG
Views: 160
Size:  906.6 KB

I like what Gunworks have done as an option for tube fed .22s . It works very well.
    Name:  DSCN1553.JPG
Views: 160
Size:  1.51 MB
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    One thing that disappoints here is the lack of a dedicated small compact suppressor for the 22 centerfires.
    I run an ATEC 45 Front with a single baffle on the 223 its short light and suppresses adequately a better judge of the noise would be by the guys that shot in the same squad as i was in for the hunter shoot this weekend. 212g about 80mms Muzzle forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakoswarosorted View Post
    I’ve owned most of the major suppressors at one point or another and they all have strengths and weaknesses.

Seems a lot of Dpt fanboys on here and in my opinion, they’re light, cheaper but loud

By the time you add a stainless baffle so they can handle basic shooting or an extra baffle to make it quieter, you’ve lost any advantage you had with length, price or durability

Hardy’s are a lot better made and a lot quieter, but then they’re more expensive and dans definitely burnt some bridges on the customer service front
    I didn't find my old hardy any quieter than my gen 1 DPT and having seen the inside of a hardy from it blowing up i dont think the wear people worry about in a dpt is any less prevalent in a Hardy you just cant see it. Seems a case of its only a problem because people see it.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Had a Gunworks can replaced due to the outer tube corroding through - done under warranty. Never seen it before, and apart from explosions (one outfit seems to have the market share of these due to the assembly system they use which while it saves weight and length isn't as robust) and baffle erosion everything else that can go wrong is down to the shooter and what they do (if the thing is installed right).

Don't leave it on the rifle, as corrosion will kill your barrel and when it's on keep it on tight!