Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 72 of 72 FirstFirst ... 22585960616263646566676869707172
Results 1,066 to 1,073 of 1073
Like Tree3572Likes

Thread: Walnut and blued steel,

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    Mmmm 7x57. Jealous.
    And why do get make 22-250s in slower twists than 223s
    because traditionally they were for shooting varmits,spin a varmit projectile too fast and it doesnt make it to the target,centrifugal force rips it apart in mid air,slow down the twist and you slow down that centrifugal force...somewhere in vicinaty of 180,000 rpm for a std load 1;12twist doing 3000fps
    Im told the extra speed will allow SLIGHTLY heavier projectiles to stabalise but its a case of try n see...
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    because traditionally they were for shooting varmits,spin a varmit projectile too fast and it doesnt make it to the target,centrifugal force rips it apart in mid air,slow down the twist and you slow down that centrifugal force...somewhere in vicinaty of 180,000 rpm for a std load 1;12twist doing 3000fps
    Im told the extra speed will allow SLIGHTLY heavier projectiles to stabalise but its a case of try n see...
    I hear you but that was back in the day.
    Not now. I suppose if they didn't do the heavier military ammo back in the day 223 might not have either.
    Micky Duck likes this.

The new bunny buster, Steyr Zephyr in .17hmr Name:  IMG_0161.jpeg
Views: 186
Size:  4.94 MB

that Steyr is a thing of beauty very nice hope it shoots well to

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    that Steyr is a thing of beauty very nice hope it shoots well to
    Definitely the best looking rifle I own, thanks Barry

That zephyr 2 is stunning! Love the zephyrs

Quote Originally Posted by ElDax View Post
    The new bunny buster, Steyr Zephyr in .17hmr
    I cant fault your taste in rimfires. I tried most of brands of ammunition and it has a preference for cci vmax with cci 17gr hp a close second. Dosn't like any load on the bipod at all off the bench.

Name:  DSCN1301.JPG
Views: 172
Size:  1.69 MB
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Here is another Mannlicher Shoenauer model 1910 takedown in .375 Rimless Nitro Express (9.5 M-S) - where do I keep finding them...this one is a very old stock but it is not factory original, it was replaced years ago when it was broken in Ceylon. I checkered this one myself.

Once I finished all this work I thought I better go and shoot it. So I loaded 235 grain Speers with some Benchmark for 2300 fps, and she shot to point of aim perfectly at 100 metres with the factory sights, making a 2.5 inch group. I didnt have to touch anything. This doesnt sound a very impressive group nowadays, but in 1924 when this was made this was considered first class accuracy. Anything under three inches would have been considered perfectly adequate for any big game hunting. Even today with the limits of the old iron sights and my 54 year old eyes, this will do anything I need a .375 for.

I know where there is a big stag. Maybe the biggest I have met yet. I hope he's still there next roar.

Shearer, LOC, Mathias and 5 others like this.