Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: What scope - Burris Signature HD vs Leupold VX freedom vs Other?

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Burris HD all the way. Great field of view & optic quality for the $$

Had the signature hd 2-10. Perfect NI scope, sold to a mate on here and he loves it

ps, my bush rifle started with a 1-4x20 then got a burris 1.5-6x42 which I really liked then that got upgraded to a Burris Veracity 2-10x42 FFP scope which I'm really pleased with (Apart from the weight) and its a keeper. Great for searching though those dark shadows under the trees at sunruse or set.
    FOV is 52 ft at 100 yds on 2x so bush ranges it's usable but still has the legs and clarity for a 500 mtr shot on a deer.
    Z

Thanks guys that's good input. Muddy I'd definitely consider your fullfield and that's a great price. I'm fairly sold on the Burris signature HD based on the comments above and looking through one, but will try and view a fullfield before buying either way.

Ta
    Dave
    mudgripz likes this.

Micky duck has it right - low magnification more important than high in northern bush.

A breakdown from my experience - quite a few animals will be shot at under 25m, alot will be under 50m, most will be under 100m, almost all will be under 200m, and occasional shots out to 300m in big clearings or across gulleys etc. Low magnification 3x or 4x will be used alot more than higher, and 9x will easily handle deer at 300m. Very little use for higher 12-15x magnification. AO on scope not an asset either as alot of your shots may be very quick, at varied ranges, and you often have no time to adjust scope. My best bush rifle was fitted with a 3X scope - proved a beauty for our bush conditions.
    Bagheera likes this.

Pretty good budget and i guess it comes down to if you want to dial or hold.

The burris options have pretty much got you covered and are real good scopes. Id also have a look at the zerotech vengeance 3-12x40 as its got locking exposed turrets at about $500. Also have a look at the Athlon Argos HMR 2-12x42, capped turrets but easily dialable for the longer shots.

VX3 2.5-8