Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Ammo Direct

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: Day & Night gear freak.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    It's almost like cheating
    Deer cheat,they come out after dark most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    Deer cheat,they come out after dark most of the time.
    Haha. Thats great.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Mean @Tahr. That Initial Ascent in the pannier and top lid - great day pack configuration. Quality frames and meat shelfs make all the difference under meat carrying weight.
    Tahr and BSA270 like this.
    "Death - our community's number one killer"

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    @Tahr that Sytong, XS06 or XS03?
    I see you went without range finder, guess having ones on the rifle optics negates the need.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Huk
    Man those pic are clear and sharp thanks for putting them up,bit out of my reach now but very impressive

It is funny how a modern scope is a thermal or night vision scope, a modern rifle is an AR15.
    So I guess a modern compass is a gps ? ;-)
    Tahr, Micky Duck and BSA270 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    @Tahr that Sytong, XS06 or XS03?
    I see you went without range finder, guess having ones on the rifle optics negates the need.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
    @Mathias its a XS06-50 Its amazing (to me, anyway)

There isn't a range finder option for the 50mm option that I wanted. But as you say, it's in my 'scope.
    Last edited by Tahr; 30-08-2024 at 11:31 PM.
    Trout, Mathias and BSA270 like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Huk View Post
    Man those pic are clear and sharp thanks for putting them up,bit out of my reach now but very impressive
    I know what you mean. I robbed the retirement piggy bank.
    Trout, Huk, Micky Duck and 2 others like this.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    I know what you mean. I robbed the retirement piggy bank.
    Shit man, don't retire now - wayyy too young
    Tahr, BSA270 and Twodiffs like this.

top of the south
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    A couple of forum members and I went over to the east coast for 2 nights. Them with all their trad gear and me loaded up with tech stuff. I hunted by myself - not that they shunned me - but thats how I like it. We had 3 evening hunts and 2 morning hunts, going back to the hut in the middle of the day for a bite and nanna-nap.

its a place where there are always deer so with the fairly new Sytong 50mm spotter I was expecting to see a few... but it was far better than that. The thing was freaking amazing. Day and night. I was an early user of thermal spotters and have had what I thought was a good Guide 50mm which recently packed it in - but this new one is next level. I saw dozens of deer, everywhere, in places I expected to see them and some places Ive never seen them. I smile to myself about thermal spotters now being legal on public land and people on YouTube now revealing them who I know have been using them for years. Like a parade of gay chaps "coming out".

Attachment 258141

Anyway, I just observed the deer the first evening hoping maybe there was a decent stag around. That is our rule, only shoot the outstanding stags and leave anything with potential (although for some silly reason we shoot spikers, justifying it by saying "there are too many"). The next morning I was out before first light and as per the previous evening saw plenty through the spotter but left them - it just seemed too easy. Bella was with me and this is where we sat until about 7.30am.

Attachment 258142

From here Bella and I sidled around the edge of the next basin and as we crested a little rise she froze and stared intently down hill. I moved next to her and peered through the scrub and could see a spiker 80 yds down the hill. I had already touched the "on" button on the modern scope and was ready to go. I actually had time to sit for the shoot at at the blam deer went everywhere. Five at least. Bella is a very steady pup but she skipped around me with excitement at the sight of them all. I waited five minutes before I let Bella lead me down to find the deer. It was about 50 or so yards down the hill from where I shot it. Quite dead. Bella was very pleased.

Attachment 258143

The 'scope is a Sytong HT70 day night with ballistics, range finder and IR. The rifle a Kimber 257R. The scope is next level (as is a Arken Zulus I have too). Excellent both day and night.

I loaded of the meat shelf on my new-ish Initial Accent pack and headed for the top. It was steep but not difficult. This modern gear is pretty damned good.

Attachment 258145

Later in the day Bella did the same thing again; locked up staring and when I drew up to her there were 6 deer in a little basin feeding, about 80 yards again.

The last evening I resolved to get another deer for the charity (I wanted 2). It was drizzly and cold. I turned down a few 'cos I was certain that I would get one on dark. But as dark drew in I hadn't got one. Time for plan B. I staked out a nice clearing on a steep face and started scanning with the thermal. Twenty minutes before the loss of normal shooting light I could see 2 deer working their war down through the thick scrub to the clearing, but they stopped 50 odd yards short of it. I waited. Well after dark I could see one through the thermal right on the edge of the clearing. Still in the scrub. I flicked the 'scope on and the IR lit it up. I could just see its spindly head, neck and shoulder. 164 yards the range finder said. Too easy. Blam, and it dropped. But it thrashed around so when it was still for a moment I gave it another. Silence.

It was dark, I was wet and Bella was keen. So off we went to get it. I went up the wrong spur to start with but after some sidling and thrashing around Bella got keen and took me to it. The .257R had done a good job. Second big carry for the new pack. Half way back I wished I had loaded the shoulders on too 'cos it was so comfortable.

Attachment 258146

The other 2 shot 3 with their tatty old gear so obviously that still works. But I was pretty damn happy about being a thoroughly modern man. And aided by the oldest of hunting devices. The dag.

Attachment 258147
    I take exception to my gear being called old and tatty that's fighting talk lol.
    I guess next wallaby trip we better have a competition old vs new winner takes all
    Brian, 308 and BSA270 like this.

Sharpen some bullets and let the games begin.
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by top of the south View Post
    I take exception to my gear being called old and tatty that's fighting talk lol.
    I guess next wallaby trip we better have a competition old vs new winner takes all
    Im not too sure my technology will negate the advantage you have of your relative youth.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    Sharpen some bullets and let the games begin.
    Im getting a bit sick of his impetuous behaviour. If he keeps this up you can have him back
    308, Mooseman, Micky Duck and 2 others like this.
    - Rumi

We can share him, he’s good value. Besides I always look forward to his stories from your visits down south. Some more banter coming up soon I hear, look forward to the outcome…..youth (relative) to technology.��
    Tahr and Micky Duck like this.

Great photos Tahr , Im off to the south coast for our annual hard enduro mx weekend in prime Tauhinu country this weekend and can't wait. Ironically I'm the same year as BC and was in Rugby H too. Haven't seen him since leaving all those years ago. Cheers
    Tahr likes this.