Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: Deer in Strange Places.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings,
    I can see that I am going to have to beat the deer away with a stick to get to my car soon.
    GPM.
    Geez, if you need a hand waving some 'sticks' around let me know - happy to repay in fluid kind or by negotiation haha.

Greetings,
    I can see that I am going to have to beat the deer away with a stick to get to my car soon.
    GPM.

Talking about deer in strange places, my neighbours got woken up to what appeared to be an early morning fallow party on their deck a while back.

The frustrating thing is they seem to be extremely allergic to the smell of gun oil. Highly visible until the rifle comes out of the safe, then they're gone. Last year I had a red hind eating hay on the paddock while I was tedding it with the tractor (no rifle with me of course). Deer version of the one finger salute.
    charliehorse likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    can you please let us know what you see cause my first impression of that print is a small sheep like a hogget
    Greetings,
    That is a possibility but my brief sighting of a tannish colour with a white bum reported in the OP, admittedly in gloomy conditions, may suggest otherwise. Our block has been stock free for a few months due to the dry conditions so I am not aware of any stock on our place but would not rule it out either. The paddock is out of sight for all of the local houses including ours. I will keep you all posted on developments.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Barry the hunter likes this.

I tend to concur, that the hoofprint is not Cervine. Too short, fat, and rounded. Most definitely is not Sika, Fallow or even a Red yearling.
    Almost resembles a pig ??? or as Barry suggests, a wooly jumper.

Opinions are like arseholes I know.

That print. Too sharp and weight forward to be a sheep. too long to be a boar and not enough weight on rear. definite hard edge. Possibilities. Fallow or a sow. I tend towards fallow.

Any shit in the paddock?

ha ha ha there's going to be egg on someone's face once Granpamac spots it -- I don't care if its me all good fun
    whanahuia likes this.

we have the best hunting now for 40 years - get into it
    I just need to capture that elusive NZ firearms license
    Ben Waimata likes this.

ha ha ha there's going to be egg on someone's face once Granpamac spots it -- I don't care if its me all good fun
    We might discover something long since forgotten ..... If its got a black tail feather with a white band, I want first dibs ....... one fetched $46K a few weeks ago.
    whanahuia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NIMROD View Post
    We might discover something long since forgotten ..... If its got a black tail feather with a white band, I want first dibs ....... one fetched $46K a few weeks ago.
    Jeesuz... I have about 12 of them.

I had quite the disappointing roar chasing bush stags in central NI.
    Then I heard them roar 400m from by house. In Auckland!!
    And I confirmed they are not livestock/farm deer.

Apparently a wild red got through the fences around my duck pond (on a deer farm) this year during the roar and had to be shot. Certainly wasn't a farmed stag as he had a full head of hard antlers and had not been velveted like the others. Keep in mind this is probably a good 20 minute drive to the nearest hills that sporadically hold deer, only half a km from a busy wee town, and only 300 metres from state highway one. It shows you just how far they will go when the hear/smell other stags during the roar. Talking to the owners they have said its not uncommon. I do imagine the scent of 50 or more red stags during the roar would get carried on the wind a fair way.

contract hunter mate was chasing escaped reds almost at Auckland's southern end
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NIMROD View Post
    I tend to concur, that the hoofprint is not Cervine. Too short, fat, and rounded. Most definitely is not Sika, Fallow or even a Red yearling.
    Almost resembles a pig ??? or as Barry suggests, a wooly jumper.
    Greetings,
    Point taken. So we are left with the earlier print, possible sighting and an animal moving away in the trees near the house. What, if anything, these were I honestly don't know but will take the bino's if I am walking around the block.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Trout likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Floundering Around View Post
    Apparently a wild red got through the fences around my duck pond (on a deer farm) this year during the roar and had to be shot. Certainly wasn't a farmed stag as he had a full head of hard antlers and had not been velveted like the others. Keep in mind this is probably a good 20 minute drive to the nearest hills that sporadically hold deer, only half a km from a busy wee town, and only 300 metres from state highway one. It shows you just how far they will go when the hear/smell other stags during the roar. Talking to the owners they have said its not uncommon. I do imagine the scent of 50 or more red stags during the roar would get carried on the wind a fair way.
    Stags will travel 20+ks in a night no problem for a hot woman.Deer in general will travel up to 10+ks to a good feed paddock every night and return home to roost (sleep)thru the day.