Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Ammo Direct

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
Like Tree467Likes

Thread: Notes for Old Codgers

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Give them this to read.

Attachment 257278

Some bloody funny cartoons in it.
    I’m a responsible Pop haha
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

A very enlightening thread this one and one that I can relate to. I'm 62 in April, well past my best fitness years having been a gym bunny in my twenties and a scuba diver for over 40yrs now. The body has relented a lot of flexibility and endurance since I hung up my carpentry tools a few years ago, and it's a bit of an eye opener for me when my wife & I can walk up a relatively easy hill behind the shed on the Coast and I'm huffing & puffing and she is breathing normally lol.

I've become semi addicted to the gym again and do 3 or 4 sessions a week on cardio and leg work, I feel better for it and the legs are getting stronger. Age is what it is and fingers crossed I intend to make the best of it while the body still works and does what I want it to do....albeit at a reduced pace lol.
    Trout, john m, Woody and 2 others like this.

Greetings All,
    Nice to see the old tread pop up again. It is 19 degrees here at the moment and 22 degrees max is forecast tomorrow. No doubt this will all turn to custard soon enough but it does remind us that spring is not far away. As usual I am hoping to do a bit more of what passes for hunting in my case than last year. I had some trees felled recently and am working through them with a chainsaw and splitting axe. I can't get a vehicle to where the trees are so the wood is being carted in a couple of 10 litre buckets, a sort of farmers walk.
    I was reading some stuff on Body Mass Index the other day and it appears that there has been some softening in the interpretation for us older people. I and many others have struggled with my weight most of my life inhabiting the overweight and obese zones. Also like most older people have shrunk vertically from 1.860 to 1.830. It appears that we should use our 40 yo height when calculating BMI. Further the upper und of heathy weight BMI is given as 28 for us pensioners. But wait (I refrained from typing weight there) there is more. It appears that those of us with a BMI of between 23 and 33 have the best health outcomes in our senior years. Halleluiah. Back to the firewood.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    john m, 308, kristopher and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings All,
    Nice to see the old tread pop up again. It is 19 degrees here at the moment and 22 degrees max is forecast tomorrow. No doubt this will all turn to custard soon enough but it does remind us that spring is not far away. As usual I am hoping to do a bit more of what passes for hunting in my case than last year. I had some trees felled recently and am working through them with a chainsaw and splitting axe. I can't get a vehicle to where the trees are so the wood is being carted in a couple of 10 litre buckets, a sort of farmers walk.
    I was reading some stuff on Body Mass Index the other day and it appears that there has been some softening in the interpretation for us older people. I and many others have struggled with my weight most of my life inhabiting the overweight and obese zones. Also like most older people have shrunk vertically from 1.860 to 1.830. It appears that we should use our 40 yo height when calculating BMI. Further the upper und of heathy weight BMI is given as 28 for us pensioners. But wait (I refrained from typing weight there) there is more. It appears that those of us with a BMI of between 23 and 33 have the best health outcomes in our senior years. Halleluiah. Back to the firewood.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Every time been in an emergency room after an ambo ride, several times since my 30s and last in 2021, (various misadventures), the first thing they do is slap a cardio machine on me and take my BP.. they usually take the BP twice as they don't trust the first reading.. then they ask me what I do..then I ask them, nonchalantly "how's the heart and the BP reading?" They tend to look a tad disappointed telling me all good. I just wish the knees were.as good as the heart seems to be. They don't like the high BMI at all at all...
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Im pretty sure that global warming made those stupid kawekas higher,thicker and harder to sleep on. We must blame someone else