Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: 07 Ranger XLT or Navara STX

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    EGR ????
    Exhaust gas recirculation, early emissions control tech.

Cycles exhaust gas back into the intake to be burned a second time round in order to lower emissions

Cons of this are carbon fouling in the intake restricting airflow and performance, increased intake temps, and failure of the cooler leading
    To a cooked donk.

Thankfully (on a PK/PJ) you can block the holes with two small plates, and remove the EGR cooler and revert back to how the Ute should have been in the first place, and get those intake temps down 40 deg, all the while eliminating the primary cause of failure on the 3.0 WEAT engine.
    Trout, BSA and No.3 like this.

Well I have had a good look at finances, and I can probably stretch to 20-22k for a Ute. I really want to get something reliable and a bit nicer that will last me the next 7-10 years. Obviously I can’t guarantee trouble free driving, but I can spend a bit more to try make that happen.
    Is there a particular year that is considered more reliable? I’m open to all makes within the price range. I’m not set on one make, I just want something reliable, comfortable to drive and capable off road when it needs to be

The Ranger will be more comfortable than the Nissan. I worked with a guy who had a 2014 ranger manual with 350K on the clock, mine has just ticked over 229K on a 2012 manual and is on its way home today from our second month long trip towing the caravan. This trip will have added another 2k to the clock.

Mine is the bog standard no frills one its not even an LXT its lower than that yet still has everything except front fog lights and dual cabin controls that the LXT has.
    Happy Jack.

I test drove one at 270,000 that belonged to a equine lady in fairlie. Towed big floats it's whole life and was quite surprised at well it still drove.
    Ended up selling for 15k ish.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/4817803357

I have a 450 STX

I really don’t like it.
    Sounds like a bloody jet taking off when first pulling away. Twin turbo thing apparently.
    Paint is as thin as fuck and being black it shows up every last scratch and imperfection.
    Voltage system is +ve grounded and if you hook up auxiliary electrical things incorrectly a very expensive electronic part shits itself. Ask me how I know.
    Service costs are shocking.
    Ground clearance is piss poor.
    Extremely thirsty around town.
    Fuel tank is too small

On the positive side, the heated seats are bloody awesome this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by Billymavs View Post
    Exhaust gas recirculation, early emissions control tech.

Cycles exhaust gas back into the intake to be burned a second time round in order to lower emissions

Cons of this are carbon fouling in the intake restricting airflow and performance, increased intake temps, and failure of the cooler leading
    To a cooked donk.

Thankfully (on a PK/PJ) you can block the holes with two small plates, and remove the EGR cooler and revert back to how the Ute should have been in the first place, and get those intake temps down 40 deg, all the while eliminating the primary cause of failure on the 3.0 WEAT engine.
    I don't think the patrol has such technology.Thanks for explaining Billymavs.

Quote Originally Posted by Delphus View Post
    Well I have had a good look at finances, and I can probably stretch to 20-22k for a Ute. I really want to get something reliable and a bit nicer that will last me the next 7-10 years. Obviously I can’t guarantee trouble free driving, but I can spend a bit more to try make that happen.
    Is there a particular year that is considered more reliable? I’m open to all makes within the price range. I’m not set on one make, I just want something reliable, comfortable to drive and capable off road when it needs to be
    The PX ranger series and equivalent BT50 are light years ahead of the Pk/Pj rangers. I'd avoid the Nissan ute just with the ground clearance issue - they really are very car-like (car with a big bum). You would get a newer Triton or the like for that sort of money as well, although I think you'd be looking long and hard to get a half decent hilux at that coin. D-Max I'm not sure about, they are more like a worker's ute than anything in the Ranger or Mazda line (there's a reason the PX ranger has been the best selling unit for a long time now). The hilux seems to hold their value unnaturally well for what they are and do, they aren't anything special that a Ranger or BT50 won't do. Buy the vehicle and not the seller's story and dream haha.
    Trout likes this.

Depends on the year, once Nissan switched from the old silver top TD42 to the mid life blacktop TD42 emissions started creeping in, mainly on AUS new trucks, pretty sure NZ didn’t have emissions requirements until about 2006

The 3.0 ZD30 patrol/navara hand grenades also had massive amounts of emissions kit tacked on to them.

I know the 1999-2016 GU patrols got EGR ect, but it would appear most people blocked it off before the warranty even had time
    To expire. Certainly wouldn’t be seeing over 400,000 on the original drivetrain with it unblocked and active !

Different between here an AUS, they have to have it for a roady if the vehicle came with it.

We do not need the EGR system For a warrant and most mechanics I have worked with or come across are generally happy to rip it out, easy money for them And a longer engine lifespan (healthier lifespan also) for the customer.

NZTA even grants certification for emissions to be removed, have seen it done on a few 2018 onwards landcruisers to eliminate the dreaded Toyota EGR/DPF system.

Quote Originally Posted by Billymavs View Post
    The 3.0 ZD30 patrol/navara hand grenades also had massive amounts of emissions kit tacked on to them.
    The ZD30 in itself wasn't that bad of a long block as far as engines are concerned - the turbo, cooling and intercooler setup (or more specifically the lack of it on some versions), the neither here-nor-there engine management setup and the dumb way the egr and crankcase vent setup stuffs the intake are the reasons the things tended to grenade themselves. With all of that crap sorted out or just ripped off and dumped on the roadside they went a LOT better and lasted a lot longer. Google NADS - or Nissan Anti-Detonation System...

A suggestion - I'd widen your search a little and look at the Isuzu engined products.

In your price range you might find a 2008-10 Holden Colorado. This has the Isuzu 4JJ1 (about 160hp) motor and they are good reliable donks. 3.0 from memory. Just helped a young fella into one and he's very happy with it. A 2005-7 Rodeo also might fit your bill - I think they may run the earlier 4JH1. Rodeos fairly truck-like rather than luxurious but again reliable motors capable of big ks. Isuzu don't run little diesels with hair-dryers boosted to the max on them. Both Rodeo and Colorado have good solid Isuzu drivetrains and usually LSD.

EVERY truck ever made has some minuses but these two models (before Colorado swapped to I think the Italian FN Motori 2.8 in about 2011) are both known to do big ks. Two mates with them. Some Isuzu D-Maxs too for 22k or less on trademe. They're pretty sturdy also - good up to about 2020 when turbos began to give troubles. A 2013 D-Max 4x4 on trademe now in InverCargill?, 206ks, $20k.

My work Navarra 2.5 turbo STX was nice to drive but very bad rep - would look at one. Diesel workshop mate also does not have alot of good to say about Rangers - getting alot in for the reasons guys have mentioned above.

Yeah, technology for relatively short lived diesels. Unlike the mighty TD42T Patrol heading for three quarter of a million km just on regular oil and filter changes
    Trout likes this.

The other benifit of the EGR delete is reducing the turbo lag. I have to pull out of a side road onto a busy 60kph high each morning and you would put your foot down and it would slowly crawl out onto the road while I watched the traffic come at me out my side window. then half way over the boost would suddenly come in and it would launch striaght ahead and not turn right onto into the lane unless I lifted off again. that was on a VW V6 ute and an earlier 2.5 lt Courier which was nutorious for needing a radiator flush.
    Z