Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Ammo Direct

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 3.0 or 3.6 Outbacks

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    Maybe this is a jafa thing but i've not encountered too many public places that let you go off road in the bush for ages. usually the roads are rooted so you have to walk anyway.

2 friends have outbacks and for towing/soft roading they are awesome. nicer to drive than a 4wd daily that is for sure
    Yeah it will mainly be for parking up off the side of the road, I had an xtrail which was ok in the forest but the wife swiped that after we gave her car to the boy. I've been looking around and 4x4's are horrendously overpriced for the mileage and condition on offer and am liking the idea of an outback. Good ground clearance and the H6's have plenty of poke

Have you looked at something like the outlander 4wd? Just a query as the outlander is similar size and weight to the outback, maybe slightly less clearance but not much in it. A fair bit easier on the wallet I'd say though...

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    Have you looked at something like the outlander 4wd? Just a query as the outlander is similar size and weight to the outback, maybe slightly less clearance but not much in it. A fair bit easier on the wallet I'd say though...
    Yeah I did but preferred the Xtrail to the mitsi outlander, the back load space is pretty small in an outlander. Main worry is the wife borrowing what I get next and giving the Xtrail back. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and get something tank like
    308 and No.3 like this.

Ironman have just released a suspension lift kit (shocks and springs) for the Outback which looks very interesting.
    In saying that, my brother's CVT lasted all of 60,000 ks...and quit.
    Last week I drove a Nissan loan car (2023, 11,99k CVT)...it felt like driving a manual box with a slipping clutch!
    I believe I am correct in saying that we have yet to see a current model double cab ute with a CVT, which probably says a lot!

Yeah, some of those Nissan CVT's feel quite special.

I think the CVT in utes will come, the current generation of CVT is a vast improvement over the first ones in both feel and reliability - and if you think about where we've got to on auto boxes about 10 years ago most people swore black to blue that they'd never have a ute that wasn't manual...

nissan cvt the belt "pushes" the pulley not "pulls" it. this can cause the belt to flex, then it starts delaminating itself.
    it cost nissan millions in recalls and warranty claims.
    now they tell you cvt is to maximise the economy by making sure the rpm is maximum efficiency, end of the day its just cheaper to make a belt drive than helical cut gears.
    also torque is the killer of belts so diesel motors and high weight towing is a killer.

i currently run a 3.0 legacy with 5 speed auto, if i could buy this car in manual i wouldnt hesitate to buy it.

Yeah, apparently auto boxes are cheaper to make than manuals as well - based on a per numbers thing when you are only fitting one type of transmission not two or three. I saw some figures that the entire fleet of cars in NZ has less than 18% manuals now, and in three years time it's expected to be almost single figures. Having said that, the same writer put forward the opinion that EV's with manual transmissions are 'few and far between'. I don't know of one that exists - the driveline does not suit a clutch as the instant torque of electric eats the lining straight off!

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    Yeah, apparently auto boxes are cheaper to make than manuals as well - based on a per numbers thing when you are only fitting one type of transmission not two or three. I saw some figures that the entire fleet of cars in NZ has less than 18% manuals now, and in three years time it's expected to be almost single figures. Having said that, the same writer put forward the opinion that EV's with manual transmissions are 'few and far between'. I don't know of one that exists - the driveline does not suit a clutch as the instant torque of electric eats the lining straight off!
    EV's are horrid, tesla doubly so

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    EV's are horrid, tesla doubly so
    Tesla yeah, fairly ordinary all round. EV's do have a place though, e.g. underground where exhaust fumes suck.

i have a toy rav 4, had it up to monument, mt studholme, takapari rd, not a serious 4x4 but with care and intelligence it goes to where i need to go.