Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: 4wd vs ATV vs SXS

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    Yup. Also why they went to the Farmworkers etc, servicing costs less than 1/3rd of the comparible sxs and can be had for between 1/2 and 2/3rd the price. About the same footprint and height for races and underpasses, but the farmworkers also have a sealed cab with a heater and more load capacity.
    One farmer I spoke to pointed out why he went for a farm worker instead of a sxs.....It had a heater and windscreen demister and was warmer in winter....and if you had a niggly or angry animal in the paddock woth you, there was a thin steel door between you and it rather than an elastic net......
    tetawa, XR500 and No.3 like this.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

Name:  why-not-both-meme.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  40.6 KB

Name:  20240317_130350 (1).jpg
Views: 540
Size:  7.30 MB

But seriously, there are pros and cons between them but at the end of the day a good SXS is far more capable off road and will get you places a Ute or old 4x4 just has no chance in getting in and out of safely.

I've recently been looking at options in these same questions.

How deep (given not swift to push it sideways) river can a SxS go? I realise may get wet feet but that's the least of my worries if it's that deep. Looking for one in the bigger valleys which would still involve picking the seasons right in terms of not in flood etc
    liam_s likes this.

Most SXS's have snorkels for air intake and CVT etc. set just below rider head height.
    Southerner223 likes this.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I have taken my SXS across the Havelock in the Rangitata, Rakaia and Wilberforce rivers in low flows - what more could you ask for? The air intakes are reasonably high up - the weight of the SXS helps it stay stable while crossing. Being doing it for years with no real drama.
    Southerner223 and liam_s like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mintie View Post
    Attachment 254024

Attachment 254025

But seriously, there are pros and cons between them but at the end of the day a good SXS is far more capable off road and will get you places a Ute or old 4x4 just has no chance in getting in and out of safely.

Love the chopped Wagon!!
    Mintie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mintie View Post
    Attachment 254024

Attachment 254025

What sort of run are you getting from the CF?
    XR500 likes this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    What sort of run are you getting from the CF?
    Hasn't had heaps of use yet, just a couple of test runs and family days to put it through its paces. Loving the power and suspension setup, much more fun than all the other LUV's I've driven that haven't been sport oriented like this
    Tahr likes this.

I had a 2006 ford courier 4x4 extra cab, after that I wouldn’t own a ford again and now I only drive Toyotas. Have a 2015 hilux now and it’s a much a better vehicle in every way
    308 and paremata like this.

@SaladNZ finally found a old photo, that little wing in front of the tyre made a huge difference in the bush
    Name:  IMG_1315.jpeg
Views: 288
Size:  6.46 MBName:  IMG_1314.jpeg
Views: 284
Size:  4.27 MB
    Dreamer, 308 and SaladNZ like this.

Name:  IMG_1825.jpeg
Views: 179
Size:  3.16 MB
    Drive the Ute as far as you can then carry on on the bike ��

Sweet setup, but it looks like you would be nudging GVM with a couple of fat bastards along for the ride

After nearly killing myself on a Quad bike back in 2002 I swore that they were the Devil's work and haven't ridden once since .
    Don't get me wrong , they are extremely effective and good bits of kit but...... shit can go " Hell west and Crooked " very quickly and if you think it won't happen to you well.... good luck with that thought process .
    About 18 months ago I purchased an older Yamaha Rhino SxS to trial and see if the concept would work for my requirements .
    The original thought was if I like it then I'd buy a newer/better model .
    End result I love it and because it has given me zero issues it hasn't been replaced yet .
    Long story short - SxS for me all day long .
    BRADS and Mintie like this.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

For basic tracks and formed flat areas Quads are fine - it's only when you get to slippery or steep (or fast as F boi) that they can bite you in the arse and quick. Square geometry (as wide as long for most of them) makes them inherently less stable than most people think - same category as the little Suzi Jimnys and the like to be fair. Having said that, I've seen a couple of cockups with SxS's that really had potential, and it was pure luck that no one got seriously injured or ended.

Run like from a wizard....