Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: 50cc scooters

By Ebike, I meant this

Name:  80hp.JPG
Views: 87
Size:  115.5 KB

80hp, Can tap 90mph, so you may get pulled up by a grumpy cop if you just ride it on your car licence....
    7mmsaum, BRADS, dannyb and 1 others like this.

Most us who ride bigger bikes have probably been dusted up by the young girls on scooters in town.
    They are pretty nimble, pretty small and easy to ride.
    I know I have.
    Going through Hamilton half the time I am coasting along with the clutch in as the bike is pretty high geared.
    Best I saw was a girl in Feilding texting as she rode along.

yes my old FZR 1000 Yamaha first gear around town and watch the temp gauge -

Quote Originally Posted by blip View Post
    Ok I've been riding bikes (motor bikes) since 9 years old so had a couple of years experience on them. I've owned these proper bikes 750 jap bikes harley, dirt bikes etc. I dont call myself a biker as I'm not, I'm just a guy that has ridden bikes from time to time. Does anyone actually have an answer to the question I asked?
    Been riding m/bikes since I was about 12yo. Started my apperenticeship in M/cycle engineering as it was called back then in 1978 so been around bikes a day or two. There is nothing wrong with a 50cc scooter for use as a get-about and you're obviously use to dealing with kiwi drivers. 50cc scooters can be quite peppy as long as they're tuned/serviced correctly. A lot of 'Jap' scooters are made under licence all over the place now including China,Philippines,Thailand , even Mexico. A bit like Ford Rangers etc. Obviously if it's one of the cheap $1200 ones be wary, they go ok for a while then turn to crap and the vendor/importer back-up is usually crap. My 2c.

cheers plus being a mechanic I can probably tweak it a bit just as long as its reg as a 50cc for a start. Daughters bf had one did a few things to and fuk it went real good for what it was i was actually impressed
    norsk and outlander like this.
    may be sarcastic may be a bad joke

stick an expansion chamber on it
    kristopher and outlander like this.

Yea they did that and different carb and manifold. Also said something about doing something to the cvt type drive it had
    outlander likes this.
    may be sarcastic may be a bad joke

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    By Ebike, I meant this

Attachment 257511

80hp, Can tap 90mph, so you may get pulled up by a grumpy cop if you just ride it on your car licence....
    XR500, in your opinion how would these stack up against the surron options?

Yea they did that and different carb and manifold. Also said something about doing something to the cvt type drive it had
    Just out of curiousity, do you have any interest in getting a bike license in the future - will you need one for your cruiser project?

No not that interested. I dont even really like road bikes so will probably just do it up and sell it. Its just that it came up for next to nothing and was complete. I guess I could go for learners as tommy suggested but cant really be arsed.
    308 likes this.

Fair enough, I got it just cos I like to get every license I possibly can

Got a big road bike and now I'm pining for my old trail bike as well haha

I can't offer any good advice on the 50s but I do see the downtown mechanics scooting about on a classic nifty fifty with a beer crate wired to the back picking up parts around town - closest I got was trading a week labouring for a vespa 200 and that thing would wheelstand
    I did find the smaller wheels / poorer centre of gravity thing annoying on rides longer than about 20k but down to the shops and back you're sweet, plus carrying shit on the floorboards is handy
    outlander likes this.

Ok I've been riding bikes (motor bikes) since 9 years old so had a couple of years experience on them. I've owned these proper bikes 750 jap bikes harley, dirt bikes etc. I dont call myself a biker as I'm not, I'm just a guy that has ridden bikes from time to time. Does anyone actually have an answer to the question I asked?
    @blip If you really want to go down that road then my first suggestion would be Japanese big 4 (Honda. Yamaha, Suzuki or Kawasake) Primarily because of reliability and parts availablity. A lot of them may well be made in China or Malasia etc, but because they have their name on them they carry support and parts for them. And when you consider prices, for a new Suzuki you are looking at $3k ish. Not really sure about the 2nd hand market but in these price brackets, the premium for a Japanese scooter can be measured in hundreds of dollars rather than thousands so not much of a step up.

If you decide it is something you want, and you are aware of traffic issues etc, then while it is not something I would suggest, I would not stop anyone either. They are cheaper to run and register than anything over 50cc which is their appeal (rego on a 50cc is $168 per year vs a bike up to 600cc at $400 and a car is $107...) . For reliability 4 stroke are better but I dont know if there are any in the 50cc bracket....2 strokes are simpler and maintenance is simpler but a bit more frequent.

I would look at what you are trying to do- will a cheap small car do a similar job because in most cases, apart from fuel usage, they will be a better option. (cheaper rego, cheaper insurance, cheaper purchase price and drier in the rain....) One final point, even though I dont own any bikes under 1000cc, I have to admit that every time I have riden a scooter, I have arrived at my destination with a huge smile. There is something about riding a bike flat out as hard as you can and not being able to get a ticket for speeding.....

Stay safe whatever you decide to do....
    outlander likes this.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

Yea its just the fun factor. Whats the point of living if you cant have fun. Yea sure its dangerous but if I let that bother me I may as well hide under my bed and be scared for my whole life......
    timattalon, woods223 and outlander like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad S View Post
    XR500, in your opinion how would these stack up against the surron options?
    3 times the price of a surron, and about twice as heavy. But that all pays for a motor that can blow a 450 MX into the weeds.

Aprilla any good?