Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Diesel hilux with 10L petrol in it?

Any more than 10% petrol in diesel fuelled engine and you’re into danger territory. Fukin amazing how many people cock this up when they’re in a rush or distracted. A mate of mine did it twice with his courier 2.5 diesel and he was an ex-mechanic for fcks sake.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Dad tells story of fella near mangakino who did it with bulldozer..was reving fit to blow so decided to drown it in shallow water..he could see bottom so not really deep...except for the pumice layer lol.was very very deep.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Unusual for a Diesel engine to over-rev on a petrol/diesel mix. They generally smoke, make poor power and stall out. If they do continue to run the engine will often seize pistons in cylinders because of lack of lubrication properties of diesel fuel. The petrol doesn’t burn properly as it relies on the ignition of the diesel due to compression pressure and burns as a secondary flame in basic terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Moutere View Post
    Curiously, how would Toyota be involved or even liable in the given scenario?
    Do you mean worst case, ending up lunching the engine and not fessing up about the petrol. Or just as a part of the fix with parts and labour?
    I see what I did there, my mistake. When reading the previous post I registered ‘insurance claim’ as warranty claim accidentally.

Quote Originally Posted by woods223 View Post
    Unusual for a Diesel engine to over-rev on a petrol/diesel mix. They generally smoke, make poor power and stall out. If they do continue to run the engine will often seize pistons in cylinders because of lack of lubrication properties of diesel fuel. The petrol doesn’t burn properly as it relies on the ignition of the diesel due to compression pressure and burns as a secondary flame in basic terms.
    Interesting...

Any more than 10% petrol in diesel fuelled engine and you’re into danger territory. Fukin amazing how many people cock this up when they’re in a rush or distracted. A mate of mine did it twice with his courier 2.5 diesel and he was an ex-mechanic for fcks sake.
    Yeah, my training would say that too although I'm told the dpf and bits can take a poor view of it. In this case the diesel can (yellow) had been filled up with 91 for a bit of powered plant on site but not marked when the gear came home on Friday. Whoops, but lucky it was realized before starting!

Saw that up at dairy farm and worse still was labelled with felt pen and staff still fooked it up.

Yep. In the workshop, on vineyards and orchards we run yellow containers for diesel, red for straight petrol and green for two stroke mix plus bulk tanks for diesel and petrol. Staff still manage to cock it up on occasion. Can't fix fekin stupid.
    XR500 and No.3 like this.

Back a bit I used to do maintenance on a big dairy farm. 7 bikes and two quads. Went through a stretch of them all running like shit. Dropped the bung out of the carb and there's water in the fuel. Went around to where the bikes were stored and refuelled, and the plastic jerry cans have their spouts attached. rainy day and the rain blows into the lean to. The rest you can guess. "guys, keep the caps on, don't leave the spouts on or your bikes will continue to run like shit and I'm only here on Thursdays"
    "Oh, but it takes too long to take the spouts on and off".......

Yep. Can't fix fekin stupid.

Just pump out what you can, and brim it with fresh diesel.

Years ago my old boss did this three times in six weeks, at the same BP, R50 terrano. Great fun for teaching my mates what a BLEVE was hahahaa
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    Part of the fix I'd expect - this was what the mate reported, he said the mechanic was quite unexcited about the whole job. Nah just run it, if it f's it claim insurance...
    probably what he should have done, wouldn't get toyota involved at any point as they will use it as an excuse to not warranty if anything goes bung with the diesel system

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine View Post
    probably what he should have done, wouldn't get toyota involved at any point as they will use it as an excuse to not warranty if anything goes bung with the diesel system
    Yeah, as far as I'm aware it wasn't a dealer mechanic. Easier to do it that way than try to get the thing half way across town to the dealer!
    Carbine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Just pump out what you can, and brim it with fresh diesel.

Years ago my old boss did this three times in six weeks, at the same BP, R50 terrano. Great fun for teaching my mates what a BLEVE was hahahaa
    Yeah, the question came up as "How?" as these things have the anti-siphon filler spout, and I wasn't there to look at it and work out the best place to start draining the thing... Asked the question and apparently the best place to do it is at the inlet/suction pipe to the fuel filter - hose tail a little pump on and drain the tank out then refill and drag some fresh fuel up before reconnecting the hose to the filter inlet. Apparently these are a self priming setup, so just start it and it should push any air back to the tank via the return. Bit rough but there you go...

If you have time and a second vehicle....

... just leave the fuel cap off and something in to keep open any internal spring-loaded flap.

How long will it take for 10L petrol to evaporate?
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    If you have time and a second vehicle....

... just leave the fuel cap off and something in to keep open any internal spring-loaded flap.

How long will it take for 10L petrol to evaporate?
    I don't think that this will work, as from what he said apparently the anti-siphon is some sort of plate setup down the filler... He did try a siphon (1/2" jiggler type if he used the last one I saw there) and it only went in so far and not near the tank itself. The way apparently is attaching a small pump to the supply hose after taking it off the filter inlet port - or drop the tank completely out. Everything else is guarded. I don't even think you have an option of direct powering the lift pump with the computer controlled gear!