Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Ammo Direct Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree128Likes

Thread: Hybrid vs petrol - surprising outcome

Ned
    Interesting results there.
    We bought an Aqua a few years ago. Before they were really hot property with the bored kids with nothing better to do than help themselves to other people's property.
    Couple of points on them, you said you wanted 5 star safety rating. The Aqua does not have this. It does get confused with the Prius-C which I think does have 5 stars.
    We're still averaging 21km/l i.e. 4.7l/100km. That's with about 80% open road and 20% town driving.
    Not sure I'd buy another one, but so far it's doing it's job as a cheap to run hatch.

Nice write up, thanks for the effort!

Quote Originally Posted by Ned View Post
    Interesting results there.
    We bought an Aqua a few years ago. Before they were really hot property with the bored kids with nothing better to do than help themselves to other people's property.
    Couple of points on them, you said you wanted 5 star safety rating. The Aqua does not have this. It does get confused with the Prius-C which I think does have 5 stars.
    We're still averaging 21km/l i.e. 4.7l/100km. That's with about 80% open road and 20% town driving.
    Not sure I'd buy another one, but so far it's doing it's job as a cheap to run hatch.
    Yup, the Prius-C / Aqua safety rating took some unpicking and we got the NZ version wrong initially. Different safety standards in different countries, I had assumed it was a 5-star because I looked up the Prius-C / Aqua ANCAP rating which is 5-star to July 2020. Either way, doesn’t matter. Interesting that your fuel consumption is pretty much exactly what I achieved on one similar test drive.
    Last edited by Flyblown; 08-06-2024 at 07:13 PM.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    Hope yr boys look after the car.
    So do I.

So do they.

Words have been exchanged. Part ownership makes a difference, I hope… definitely an interesting response as the money was transferred out of their savings accounts!
    Trout, Rich007, Pengy and 4 others like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by No good names left View Post
    They basically took a guess, and then someone second guessed them so they backed down and lowered the ratios. If you're city based and only run on the battery you're winning, if your battery is fucked and do open road driving so use mostly petrol you're fucked. They've had years to see these problems but are only just starting to look at using RUCs for all vehicles and "doing away with the fuel tax" YEAH RIGHT, They'll just tax both ways.
    The plan is to drop fuel tax off petrol - part of this is due to the change of fuel types and more changes in fuels to come - its getting to hard to adjust road users if its on fuel purchase. The issue is the RUC setup is light on capacity. But on the other hand off road claim back and non-road-vehicle use (agriculture, boat etc) is a nightmare as well...

I’m lucky enough to have a brand new RAV4 Hybrid for work. I use cruise control religiously because I’m GPS monitored and fuel consumption has been a consistent 5.7 L per 100km. I was quite surprised considering it’s a 2.5 litre.

Interesting to hear about the battery maintenance as my wife currently has a CX5 2.5 AWD and we’d thought about going to a new hybrid for her next upgrade. Good food for thought.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 300winmag View Post
    The death of petrol is a long time off.
    Here’s hoping!! I’m 30 years of retiring

Quote Originally Posted by McNotty View Post
    I’m lucky enough to have a brand new RAV4 Hybrid for work. I use cruise control religiously because I’m GPS monitored and fuel consumption has been a consistent 5.7 L per 100km. I was quite surprised considering it’s a 2.5 litre.

Interesting to hear about the battery maintenance as my wife currently has a CX5 2.5 AWD and we’d thought about going to a new hybrid for her next upgrade. Good food for thought.
    The service manager I deal with told me the Rav 4 is the start point for hybrid beginning to make sense; using the battery in town environments makes a much bigger difference proportionally to the heavier / bigger vehicle than it does to the smaller vehicles that are efficient on petrol only. He tells me the model that sees the biggest improvement is the Highlander Hybrid, followed by the Camry.
    Last edited by Flyblown; 08-06-2024 at 08:48 PM.
    308 and Woody like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Great thread. Was thinking about starting one asking this question as the Mrs is looking at upgrading her Kia Cerato and wants a hybrid, most likely Toyota. She does a 55km round trip a day to town plus a few further afield. Roughly 20,000km a year, so worked out potential fuel savings vs outlay premium and may have been a saving of $1400 on that basic calc over the expected ownership period. Hadn’t factored in battery replacement so that nullifies any expected savings. Think the ICE will make sense for a while yet.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by McNotty View Post
    Here’s hoping!! I’m 30 years of retiring
    I turn 65 next week and I’m a few years off retirement but I tend to slow down.
    I took my green machine for a quick squirt today, a couple hundred km’s, didn’t take long, filled it with 98 before I left but didn’t look at the fuel gauge when I got back but must have been in the 20ltr/100km range
    7mmsaum, Trout, Maca49 and 1 others like this.

My neighbour brought a new jazz hybrid no battery plugin and self charges..
    New tech 3.5 litres per 100km around town and 4.3 on open road ..
    Of course expensive to buy but interesting tech and no ruc

https://www.honda.co.nz/hybrid-cars/...hoCi5YQAvD_BwE
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

I looked at changing my 2.5litre Subaru Forrester for the exact same model in a hybrid, difference was I went down to a 2 lire engine. Asked what milage I could expect and was told 6.5 l/100. I get 7.5l/100 out of my 2.5 litre. What’s the point with all the liability
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Caretaker
    9 litres per 100 km fuel consumption if driven normally

6.2 litre, 6 speed, it’s a hybrid because it can run on 91 or 98

Name:  IMG_9260.jpeg
Views: 161
Size:  3.68 MB
    veitnamcam, Blaser, Trout and 6 others like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    9 litres per 100 km fuel consumption if driven normally downhill
    I can see how you forgot that bit.

Next up, we’ll talk about the fuel consumption if driven abnormally uphill!
    300winmag likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

Will be in the 20’s and loving it I bet