Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Suspect Wof

Very common for groomers to get very enthusiastic using waterblaster and get water in orifices they shouldn't. We're constantly having to dry out lamps or wiring junction blocks.
    Very likely the vehicle had a wof then went for Groom. Still not a good look when such a fault has been noted and they shrug it off. So many sales really dgaf unless they're counting your money though
    Pengy, Micky Duck and BSA270 like this.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Or like my old safari, put it into 4wd while in the que as i was bored - but forgot to unlock the auto hubs! Most even brake test the wof man had ever seen. Noted the new steering damper was loose, buggered if I know how that happened but replaced the nyloc nut and it stayed tight. Had to fail me on something, found the towball nut was rusty!!!! (It was rusty though, half gone).

Missus drove it over the Kaimais a few days later and turning back into the street we lived in the left front wheel fell off. Loose wheel nuts, right hand thread on the left side means the nuts got flicked off. I suspect she was a little heavy handed on the brakes... While repairing that little misfortune I realised the front left caliper was completely seized and not operating, seized to the point I had to get a replacement from the wreckers. Had a look at the other three calipers just because, front right was OK and rear right was OK too. Rear left was seized as well though! The brake test was even because the machine was only reading the right side calipers on both axles! Just by chance I had the front hubs locked across the diff and the rear was an LSD... Shows you how the wof brake test is though.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    Very common for groomers to get very enthusiastic using waterblaster and get water in orifices they shouldn't. We're constantly having to dry out lamps or wiring junction blocks.
    Very likely the vehicle had a wof then went for Groom. Still not a good look when such a fault has been noted and they shrug it off. So many sales really dgaf unless they're counting your money though
    Truck was fresh on the yard and not been groomed for sale.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    Truck was fresh on the yard and not been groomed for sale.
    Although the purely engineering / mechanically minded here may scoff, I assert that you can tell a large deal about a vehicle by the manner of the person who is trying to sell it
    Micky Duck likes this.

It also depends on the garage trying to "upsell repairs " if they are quiet and need work.
    Shouldnt happen but it does.

I did a wof on a bog standard 4cyl commodre back when I was doing wofs. Next thing I know a guy from ltsa is here asking questions about a commodore that I put a wof on with a rough as v8 and 9 inch transplant. The handbrake cable had been cut and tried to join it with hose clips. Showed me and the boss some pics, we remembered the car and told the guy it didnt have that in it when it got the wof. So a wof is only as good as when the car just got issued it while its sitting there in the workshop. Anything can happen to it after it leaves. There was another one where they altered the structure after I issued one on another vehicle....
    308, jusepy81, woods223 and 2 others like this.

As @blip said. WOF only proves it was up to required standard at time of testing. It is still the owner/operators responsibility to ensure the vehicle continues meeting those standards. As a VI we cannot foresee what some shifty prick does to a vehicle after inspection like fitting different rims/oversized tyres, suspension mods etc. Over my time as a VI at a local garage we certainly didn't ‘manufacture’ faults to generate work, generally not a high income earner and usually had plenty of pre-booked work anyway. Certainly got a bit jaded seeing arseholes cheating the system after obtaining their WOF, it’s your signature on the paperwork if there’s a hiccup.
    Pengy, BSA270 and blip like this.