Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Tyres

Shame prices have gone through the roof, I priced 35" BFG muds the other day....$820ea. Have gone up big time.

About 18yrs ago I got Coopers sts 275/75/16 for the patrol,think about $450 a tyer.Got a 100000ks out of a set.Good ks for the hammering they got.Went to buy the next set of coopers 3years later,wooow over $650 each and that was about 15yrs ago.Went back to bfg's.Had a few sets of bfg's on the patrol now.Good all round tyer I reckon and priced ok.Bugger paying $820 each for big muddys tho.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    About 18yrs ago I got Coopers sts 275/75/16 for the patrol,think about $450 a tyer.Got a 100000ks out of a set.Good ks for the hammering they got.Went to buy the next set of coopers 3years later,wooow over $650 each and that was about 15yrs ago.Went back to bfg's.Had a few sets of bfg's on the patrol now.Good all round tyer I reckon and priced ok.Bugger paying $820 each for big muddys tho.
    Yeah I've always used BFG's since 1998, had a set of 37" Treps for West Coast trips but I'm not doing as many hard core trips these days.

The BFG's that come on the new Raptors are dog shit , been built to a cost obviously to get them on those utes....hopefully the rest of the sizes don't go the same way!

Tyres have gone up massively right across the board , there is still some good buys in some brands but the well known ones can be pretty horrendous......little old NZ gets pretty screwed
    Bay Tyres-Driving the best deal since ages ago

I don’t know what Mickeys are worth now but I had the ATs on my Hilux, 17”.
    Sold the Ute at 100k and the tyres had done 94,000 kms over 5 years and still had 6 - 7 mm tread on warrant sheet just before I sold it.
    Look after them and they go for ages. Quite aggressive for ATs but still quiet on road

Quote Originally Posted by madmaori View Post
    The BFG's that come on the new Raptors are dog shit , been built to a cost obviously to get them on those utes....hopefully the rest of the sizes don't go the same way!

Tyres have gone up massively right across the board , there is still some good buys in some brands but the well known ones can be pretty horrendous......little old NZ gets pretty screwed
    Yeah, I drove a demonstrator one still on factory rubber on a day that it had just finished raining and I was bloody surprised at how loose it was on the road on the BFG's. The rangers used to come out on Dunlop Grantrek AT22's - nothing flash and pretty expensive new but I've been quite surprised with the run I've had out of them and I'm serious about that. They have decent grip, passable off road including on clay and mud if you are sensible and careful, quiet and reasonably well mannered on road and for wear and I've been getting north of 75,000Km's off a set before they are close to warrant failure. That and you used to be able to pick up a set of near new take offs for $50 a corner still on the factory rims... I have two sets sitting in the shed - it will see out my Ranger and I had the plan of getting a set of muds to put on the last (original) set of factory rims so I could swap over if I needed more grip for a job. I haven't needed more grip yet.
    madmaori likes this.