Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: NZHS Hunter Challenge and Long Range Day - 7/8 Sept; Sparrowhawk

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    My guess would be that a bipod is going to be almost useless, will still take one though and a rear bag though.

When you say shooting off a pack do you meant seated or still laying down? I always imagine it to mean seated, but I'm guessing that's not the case.
    You'll use a bipod on most stations, even on top of your day pack. It's a simulated field hunt with some tricky uphill angles lying on your guts. Don't over think it. You use your day pack as a rear bag too.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mathias; 12-07-2024 at 11:27 AM.

All the stages are typical hunting scenarios, off logs, flat ground, sloping ground, tussock in the way. Every stage is different. And all stages are to be shot as if you were hunting. Bipods are allowed, tripods or trigger sticks are not. Competition type bags are not allowed, but a rolled up jacket or top is. Most shooters carry a bipod, some dont. It can be shot off a pack laying down, or a pack standing. As Mathias has said, dont over think it, these are just typical hunting scenarios. 223 will work fine if there is little wind. And the ground may be a tad cold, or possibly damp so some sort of mat or tarp is ok. And there is no strict times, so no need to hussle setting up for a stage.

The hut out the back has 9 bunks, and theres heaps of room for tents. Sounds like there may be pig on a spit for the Sat night.

And on the Sunday you can use any rifle and gear you choose. The long range will be open and theres is talk of a bit of a friendly competition. There are targets all the way out to as far as you wanta shoot. There are varifying bars at 6 and 800 I think, if you wanta true your data. There are barricades and obstacles if you wanta get in some PRS practice
    gimp likes this.

As far as shooting supports go. As a group you can choose what you want to use. When I first designed this whole course competition idea and picked the animal target locations it was to challenge as many different hunting scenarios as I could with the terrain we had. It has evolved over the 4 or so years and I have added more targets to test different areas. The deal was to stop our match guys turning up with tripods and bags and cleaning up. So I kept it improvised rear bags like socks, rain jackets etc. no tripods even though we do use some hunting. Rifle weight at max 12lb with mag and bipod, suppressor. May use hunting pack. There are a few things on the course at shooting points at some positions due to high angle or vegetation. Like there is a pile of rocks and a few logs. The whole course it’s to test your skills and see at what ranges and positions you can pull off 1st round kill zone impacts in field positions.

Anyone coming down from Nelson for this?

Its getting closer guys and gals. Anyone in need of a ride down to Sparrowhawk, or an airport pick up, yell out and I can help out.
    Mathias and dannyb like this.

Still time to sign up if you haven't yet! A great course to test your field shooting proficiency. Put down the reloading press and get outdoors...
    dannyb likes this.

I'm on night shift Friday and Saturday..... Not good idea to do pretty much anything on first day after nightshift.... My normally short fuse is reduced even more. Will see how things look next week.how long will things still be going on Sunday afternoon?
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Got the weekend off, so I’m in, see you all there.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Like to go down for a look,living close by.But I cant get away from house duty's.

Should be a few bodies floating about if weather is good.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Anyone know if you can attend as a spectator?
    #DANNYCENT

Yes I very been a spectator (due to rifle failure) at sparrowhawk and it wasn't an issue . . . But ffs the match is only 20 rounds, arrange to shoot someone's rifle . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Yes I very been a spectator (due to rifle failure) at sparrowhawk and it wasn't an issue . . . But ffs the match is only 20 rounds, arrange to shoot someone's rifle . . .
    Also need a 4x4 ride if anyone can spare a seat with legroom ? I may just bring the 308win
    #DANNYCENT

If you've got a rifle that goes bang, why wouldn't you bring it and shoot?!
    Micky Duck likes this.