Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Ammo Direct

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree259Likes

Thread: NZHS Hunter Challenge and Long Range Day - 7/8 Sept; Sparrowhawk

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Also need a 4x4 ride if anyone can spare a seat with legroom ? I may just bring the 308win
    I can give you a lift over the hill if needed, or someone else can. Won't be a problem if you can get to the property or even Fairlie.
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Also need a 4x4 ride if anyone can spare a seat with legroom ? I may just bring the 308win
    I'll have the ute with the canopy on. Dunno if they would be enough leg room if you put a squab in the back.
    Might struggle with the 308, I'm running a 223. Just have to aim lots higher for the longer shots.

From memory, to hit a rabbit with the 308 at 550yds required aiming 39 rabbits high.
    Micky Duck and dannyb like this.
    Every machine is a smoke machine,
    If you use it wrong enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_90 View Post
    I'll have the ute with the canopy on. Dunno if they would be enough leg room if you put a squab in the back.
    Might struggle with the 308, I'm running a 223. Just have to aim lots higher for the longer shots.

From memory, to hit a rabbit with the 308 at 550yds required aiming 39 rabbits high.
    I'll be dialing
    #DANNYCENT

Will have to see how things are looking a couple days before.. might be a last-minute entry.

Wonder how well I sighted my 223 in last time…
    gimp, Micky Duck and Joe_90 like this.

Weather's looking alright at this stage. Could be windy....
    outdoorlad and Husky1600#2 like this.

Nah, never seen any wind there!!!! Oh, there was this one time in January this year......
    Bigash and Husky1600#2 like this.

Only rifle setup currently for which I still haven't spent enough ammo to accumulate brass to bother reloading. Wind and range should make shooting a newish to me rifle with cheap factory fiochhi a good challenge �� subsonic well before it hits(misses) the 700m target.
    Husky1600#2 likes this.

Ordered my ticket today
    Also got a pleasant surprise when I checked my ammo stash today thinking I would need to load some rounds for the hunters comp....47 rounds already loaded whoop whoop
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
    Only rifle setup currently for which I still haven't spent enough ammo to accumulate brass to bother reloading. Wind and range should make shooting a newish to me rifle with cheap factory fiochhi a good challenge �� subsonic well before it hits(misses) the 700m target.
    Theres only one at 700, all the rest are under 500. And if theres some decent wind, one miss at 700 wont be the deciding factor, there will be plenty of other opportunities for making good windcalls.
    Stocky likes this.

Hey @Husky1600#2 could you ask about the course access at the moment - do we need mud tyres to get out there? An answer hmere might save them some calls. Thanks

I doubt it

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600#2 View Post
    Theres only one at 700, all the rest are under 500. And if theres some decent wind, one miss at 700 wont be the deciding factor, there will be plenty of other opportunities for making good windcalls.
    I plan to suck anyway. Need to set s baseline you know
    dannyb and Lucky like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Hey @Husky1600#2 could you ask about the course access at the moment - do we need mud tyres to get out there? An answer hmere might save them some calls. Thanks
    Have just come back from Sparrowhawk after todays Teams Event. Track is dry and in good nick, hard and fast. Weather was a strong NW for the first hour or so then changed to an easterly type breeze. Nice comfortable day and the place is dry. So long as we dont have heaps of rain this week I would say it would be all good for road tyres. I would even contemplate itv in a car with slightly higher ground clearance.

Looks like there are a good number of entries and still coming in. There is a BBQ for those staying Sat night, but would be helpful if some of us could take some extra meat and stuff to add to the BBQ.
    gimp and Micky Duck like this.

New to this site and wondering about access, I only have two wheel drive ute and not wanting to damage any tracks trying to get where I shouldn't. Any advise gratefully received please. Still deciding to camp the Saturday night or just do the drive back to Kurow and back the next day?

Quote Originally Posted by Sako 270 View Post
    New to this site and wondering about access, I only have two wheel drive ute and not wanting to damage any tracks trying to get where I shouldn't. Any advise gratefully received please. Still deciding to camp the Saturday night or just do the drive back to Kurow and back the next day?
    The track is a good shingled track, lots of traction. But can be slippery with a fresh shower of rain. Its a decent climb but i've seen plenty of cars go over on a dry day. If you have any doubts throw a couple bags of gravel in the back of the tray. Or yell out and we can get you over no problems, there will be spare seats in other vehicles.
    dannyb and Sako 270 like this.