Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Ammo Direct DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree178Likes

Thread: Bahco Knives

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Not an upgrade,just different branding.hunting n fishing been selling them for ages like that.
    Ahhhhhh - that'll be why I haven't seen them haha

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    Pretty much what I've been doing - I got a good old skool Cambrian steel (one of the fine cut ones). Even that didn't do it, just left it like a kids toy knife... Using a diamond hone works if it's handled with care but you have to be careful with it. The Scary Sharp deals with the bulk sharpening, and a few licks with the fine diamond hone and it's shaving sharp. Stays that way for a considerable time too, but not with a steel anywhere near it that's for sure.
    The bahcos are pretty high in chromium, which makes them a bit more wear resistant. They run a bit harder than victory too.

The old steel straightens the edge thing is a bit of a wives tale at this point, a steel can straighten the edge, but rolled edges arent actually that common, and usually they are just broken off rather than pushed back to center anyway.

A steel sharpens like any other hone, by removing a small amount of steel to reset the apex. Steels are just the least aggressive, especially the smooth ones. For maximum effectiveness A hone should be used at a slightly higher angle than the normal edge to create a micro bevel and reset edge geometry. This will take the least amount of time and work to bring the knife back to sharp again

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    The bahcos are pretty high in chromium, which makes them a bit more wear resistant. They run a bit harder than victory too.

The old steel straightens the edge thing is a bit of a wives tale at this point, a steel can straighten the edge, but rolled edges arent actually that common, and usually they are just broken off rather than pushed back to center anyway.

A steel sharpens like any other hone, by removing a small amount of steel to reset the apex. Steels are just the least aggressive, especially the smooth ones. For maximum effectiveness A hone should be used at a slightly higher angle than the normal edge to create a micro bevel and reset edge geometry. This will take the least amount of time and work to bring the knife back to sharp again
    The harder the knife steel the finer the sharpening steel should be. Otherwise it just chatters along the edge.
    As shepherds we used to hone our new sharpening steels down on a brick.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Am I the only one that cringes slightly whenever this thread gets resurrected

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post

Interesting vid about honing steels
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4ReQ83CZOQ

Quote Originally Posted by Tui4Me View Post
    Am I the only one that cringes slightly whenever this thread gets resurrected
    No.
    My participation is in no way an endorsement of these terrible things. I would rather be seen wearing crocs.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Caretaker
    Having once gutted a deer with a flattened and sharpened 303 shell (because I left my knife at home) I now appreciate any knife that’s in my pack

Name:  IMG_2557.jpeg
Views: 322
Size:  7.50 MB
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever smashed a handle off one of these to see what the tang looks like?

Quote Originally Posted by makka View Post
    Out of curiosity, has anyone ever smashed a handle off one of these to see what the tang looks like?
    Pretty sure someone did a rehandle jobbie back on other pub...anyone remember whodunit??
    makka likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Having once gutted a deer with a flattened and sharpened 303 shell (because I left my knife at home) I now appreciate any knife that’s in my pack

Attachment 257678
    Yeah, I had to gut one with a stone I smashed together with a bigger one, when I left my knife behind. I now have a mercator as a spare that lives on the belt with the ammo pouch. Cannot get left behind that way!
    7mmsaum and Micky Duck like this.

Name:  P1030567.JPG
Views: 130
Size:  5.94 MB
    - Rumi

Stupid Buck brought a knife to a gun fight.
    sneeze, Tahr and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Pretty sure someone did a rehandle jobbie back on other pub...anyone remember whodunit??
    I was looking at some scrap walnut and having some silly ideas in the shed last night
    Name:  20240906_222625.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  2.79 MB
    rugerman and Micky Duck like this.

Cheap enough you can melt handle off and see what you have to work with.
    makka likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I watched a Steven Rinella episode where they cut up a whole bison with stone tools for a research paper. Was interesting to see what shapes worked best
    Micky Duck likes this.