Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree168Likes

Thread: Bahco Knives

57JL
    I got 2 of the swedish ones today in town they only had 2 left but had heaps of Chinese ones
    XR500 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bumblefoot View Post
    For the price of the Ganzo you can get a Victory 4" drop point hunter; (no sheath though. It's a great wee knife

https://victoryknives.co.nz/drop-point-knife-10cm/
    Honestly I was just reading this wondering the same thing…

$30 for an nz made drop point that’s 10 times the sharpness and quality of these pieces of shit..
    bumblefoot likes this.

I've bought a couple of drop point hunters from Victory as well.
    Tui4Me likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tui4Me View Post

$30 for an nz made drop point that’s 10 times the sharpness and quality of these pieces of shit..
    Apples vs oranges, the bacho were $10-$12 with a sheath and have accounted for plenty of deer butchering sessions.
    cambo, Micky Duck and woods223 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tui4Me View Post

Ten times as sharp......tui anyone???
    Tui4Me, cambo and Bushline like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by bumblefoot View Post
    For the price of the Ganzo you can get a Victory 4" drop point hunter; (no sheath though. It's a great wee knife

https://victoryknives.co.nz/drop-point-knife-10cm/
    I have a victory drop point and I find its just as sharp as a Swedish bahco but the bahco is more durable and holds its edge better than the victory, that's why the bahco is in my hunting pack and the victory is in storage.
    Micky Duck and woods223 like this.

Yeah, I find the same - Victory knives are good but aren't tough. The Bahco is a bit more of a piss off to sharpen, but once it is sharp it's good for a lot longer without touch ups. I have learned not to go near a Bahco with any form of steel - diamond hones only.

That's interesting...try changing your steeling angle. My work mate has been getting me to sharpen his knives and it had me buggered how they got so blunt. Once I chucked out his draw through tool much better but they keep coming back with huge rounded shoulders...then I saw him use steel. It's my firmly held belief that your knife should just about lay down against the steel when stroking it. (The back edge of blade closer to steel) You are after all just trying to restraighten the tiny bent bits on very edge of blade. If your knife is at closer to right angles to steel you are rubbing the sharp bit off. The only way I can discribe that is with hand flat curl tips of fingers over....that's a worked full blade.by steeling you are unrolling fingertips back straight again.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    That's interesting...try changing your steeling angle. My work mate has been getting me to sharpen his knives and it had me buggered how they got so blunt. Once I chucked out his draw through tool much better but they keep coming back with huge rounded shoulders...then I saw him use steel. It's my firmly held belief that your knife should just about lay down against the steel when stroking it. (The back edge of blade closer to steel) You are after all just trying to restraighten the tiny bent bits on very edge of blade. If your knife is at closer to right angles to steel you are rubbing the sharp bit off. The only way I can discribe that is with hand flat curl tips of fingers over....that's a worked full blade.by steeling you are unrolling fingertips back straight again.
    Pretty much what I've been doing - I got a good old skool Cambrian steel (one of the fine cut ones). Even that didn't do it, just left it like a kids toy knife... Using a diamond hone works if it's handled with care but you have to be careful with it. The Scary Sharp deals with the bulk sharpening, and a few licks with the fine diamond hone and it's shaving sharp. Stays that way for a considerable time too, but not with a steel anywhere near it that's for sure.

Any decent sheaths u can use with these knives? Do those small victory ones fit the bahco?

personally the plastic jobbies they come with is part of the attraction...can put in pack and they wont get out and cut shit up..like my shin...DONT ASK.
    m101a1 likes this.

Agree if carting a pack. If on belt they aren't ideal hence the question. Cheers.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    personally the plastic jobbies they come with is part of the attraction...can put in pack and they wont get out and cut shit up..like my shin...DONT ASK.
    I think you hit it on the head re the sheaths , victory make great one for their blunt tip dive knife and have just made one for the short dive knife in my house every quad has had one on the bars since 2010 and all cars boats sheds etc have one each now . Just so handy and sharp .
    Parky and Micky Duck like this.

Bahco upgrade?

https://www.bidbud.co.nz/4869290989

They do a "rescue" version too...

https://www.bidbud.co.nz/4869290989

Not an upgrade,just different branding.hunting n fishing been selling them for ages like that.