Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: Blowing wet wools weigh myth out of the water

RV1
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    Yes but fleece doesn't smell of sheep when its wet, and wool is itchy for some folks, I can't wear wool next to my skin not even Merino it gets itchy.
    Same - that's why I've never been keen to try those MKM shirts... I can just about handle some of the higher quality finer merinos, if I force myself to ignore it, but mostly wool next to my skin makes me really uncomfortable and has done all my life. I can now handle merino woolen socks, but straight woolen socks, no way. I always need a liner sock underneath. Drives me nuts. Funny thing is one of my kids is the same, while the other can happily wear anything against his skin, no worries.
    Micky Duck likes this.

RV1
    Forgot to add - great experiment Nimrod - thanks for taking the trouble and for sharing the results. I'm still a big fan of woolen mid layers and insulation - jumpers, hats/beanies, mittens, and socks - wool feels warmer to me, is not as sweaty, and definitely less smelly than synthetic. I just wear synthetic base layers.

Just to reiterate.... I'm not out to recommend wool over fleece or vise versa, and both hunting shirts are from NZ's two leading outdoor clothing manufacturers in their field. Not cheap knockoffs.
    The exercise was done purely to dispel the oft quoted advice on this forum that wool is heavier when wet than fleece.
    Both fabrics have their strengths and weaknesses over the other and personal preference is a given right to everyone. And the last word on this experiment, that I haven't posted on here, is that both are about neck and neck when it comes to being rung out of excess water.

Happy hunting and hot barrels..... NIMROD
    Dama dama and wekaman like this.

Yep on the wool for sure- by the bye- the last 2 weeks at work(builder) ive noticed wearing my hi viz synth hoodies does not breathe- back to my Swandri shirt and now mkm wool/synth blend.
    Man those hi viz Hard Yakka tops are a plastic bag to wear.