Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Medium size / overnight pack recommendations 2024

DBD
    Eberlestock F1 main frame system will cover all your bases, one frame that fits various size bags.
    Pm if you keen to see some pics
    It takes 20 barrels of water to make 1 barrel of beer...

https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....et-pack-91495/

This is an amazing pack. Definitely way more comfortable than the Exped Lightning which I also have

Have been wondering about the new Tatonka Swift pack at 2.1kg looks like a good option
    Floundering Around likes this.

@TLB have you tried the Huntech Pikau? Any feedback on that? I thought it would be handy enough to chuck in my main pack. I like the appeal of its small size as well for hunting in scrub.

Ospery aether 55L is my go to - perfect for this application and very comfortable... for me
    Floundering Around likes this.

TLB
    Quote Originally Posted by Floundering Around View Post
    @TLB have you tried the Huntech Pikau? Any feedback on that? I thought it would be handy enough to chuck in my main pack. I like the appeal of its small size as well for hunting in scrub.
    Yeah I have a huntech one that is nearly 20 years old. Used to only use a pikau. Could fit a boned out set of Ruahine hindquarters inside it then tie 2 back legs together and drape them over the top where you tie it up. Was brutal on the shoulders but got the job done haha.
    Then started carting too much gear and enjoyed the comfort of nice padded straps.
    Pikaus are definitely handy, light and simple. In conjunction with a belt with knife and a pouch or two with stuff you need to be accessible so you don't have to untie the pikaus everytime you want something.
    Can just stuff it inside the deer if you want to carry it out whole too.
    Micky Duck and NIMROD like this.

@DBD Had a look at the elberlestock F1 online. They look bloody awesome! If only my budget allowed. Maybe one day aye.

@ TLB thanks man. My idea was about the same. Just want to carry the rain gear, first aid kit and some water in it when I'm away from camp adventuring for a day. I also carry a bino harness so have a few items of my smaller kit on that in pouches anyway. I also thought if I were to pikau out a hind of biffing the bag inside the carcass lol.
    TLB and NIMROD like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TLB View Post
    Yeah I have a huntech one that is nearly 20 years old. Used to only use a pikau.
    Pikaus are definitely handy, light and simple. In conjunction with a belt with knife and a pouch or two with stuff you need to be accessible so you don't have to untie the pikaus everytime you want something.
    I fixed the access issue by adding a zip to my Huntech canvas pikau for when I wanted a drink or snack, or put my bennie away etc.
    To date its handling the rigours well.

Name:  Pikau 1.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  103.5 KB Name:  Pikau 2.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  102.7 KB
    Parky, TLB, Micky Duck and 4 others like this.