Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree136Likes

Thread: "Oh sh#t" overnight kit

there was a long thread on this subject a while back went on quite a bit so look it up if you want more info

Quote Originally Posted by Snoppernator View Post
    Yep bet the dog tried to push you off the jacket at night! ��
    The dog ended up inside the jacket with me. I can't remember being colder. The trick is to start preparing for a night out well before nightfall. Going to sleep cold and tired is much worse than just cold.
    Micky Duck, Sh00ter, Ned and 2 others like this.

A good thread - a mix of uncomfortable nights vs bordering on survival. It’s the knowledge, judgment, prep and key items that changes from warm comfy situation to a debacle. Good to read about some other debacles not just my own. Ha.
    Ranger 888 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Nolan View Post
    The dog ended up inside the jacket with me. I can't remember being colder. The trick is to start preparing for a night out well before nightfall. Going to sleep cold and tired is much worse than just cold.
    That's the thing. It can take a surprising amount of time to make shelter and gather enough firewood for the night and generally setting your self up. Your lizard brain is trying to convince you that you get back to the camp/car/hut before nightfall when really you should be listening to your Homo Sapien brain and sorting yourself out while it's light

bjp
    Add rectangle of closed cell foam mat cut to fit inside your daypack, weighs a fraction and good for keeping your arse of the ground, makes a big difference when its cold if you don't have a full size mat. And I've noticed a good number of the mylar blankets can be small, but Macpac (among others) sell the Mylar "emergency" bags, definitely big enough for you (and maybe a really good mate at a push!) to climb into, and are only a few grams more. Their blankets are also a decent size, but I think I'd still take a bag...

Also, the Real Meals "bacon mash" freeze dried meal still tastes good made up cold!
    Ranger 888 likes this.

Lot of people talking about a back up torch. Simple, lightweight and small....get a new battery every now and then (or use the one in your rifle?)
    Name:  20240725_191422.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  2.56 MB

MB

Who ever got lost??? Just a bit geographically challenged..I always carry a day pack no matter how short the trip away from camp/base, map, compass, plb, water and some snaks...i.e. packet of dried apricots, bars...back in the day once got caught where I should not been, woollen clothes from longjohns up, woolen swandri, packet of Port Royal, blue zig-zag papers, lighter and w/proof matches, a good log, a freezing cold night, bloody damp uncomfortable but the swanny conquers all...don't forget yet your HAT
    Poko likes this.

A wee story re wet wood. A couple of cobbers and I did a very ambitious traverse in Fiordland in the early 80s. I recall our loads averaged 30 kgs with 14 days food, a mountain radio and I think a rifle each . . . We might have shared two between us though. Relatively light loads for the day due to processing a lot of our own dehy food.

Anyhoo on the first "serious" day we were going downhill and it started to rain lightly. Was quite nice for a couple of hours then it changed up to a heavy very cold rain. We crossed a big river and shortly after noticed we were bloody cold and the decision was made to stop and camp.

What we didn't realize was just how hypothermia we all were, our judgment was very weak. I was to light the fire while the other two got the tent up. It was very wet, in the wet bit of Fiordland and I couldn't seem to find any dry wood, even with the half axe we had. After a bit I happened to check my watch and somehow realized we'd been putting up a tent and lighting a fire for TWO hours - we were very hypothermia. Once one of realized I was able to get another of the party 'on track' and the tent was soon up with the coldest guy in his bag.

Within a few more minutes with a clear head I found a big overhanging tree with plenty of dry stuff and a big fire was going within 10 minutes with a bit of bike rubber we always carried in those days.

A big part of good bushmanship is observing as you go, and if you keep an eye out for burnable wood you'll be surprised how much there is even in wet country . . . .

My PLB lives on my belt along with my hunting knife and its always the last thing I take off in camp and the first thing I put on when packing to leave.
    Micky Duck, Sika 8 and Eat Meater like this.
    Happy Jack.