Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Overnight pack size

I used to overnighters fly camping with a 40L pack.
    You could fit a boned out red deer in there if I put my sleeping bag in the outside on the way out.

As others have said just get a expandable pack, just be diligent to only put the essentials in there as the more space you have the more shit you put in it.

When I was a young fulla me and a mate would do pig hunting overnighters with only a couple of muesli bars in a bum bag. No sleeping bag or nothing, just find a dry spot and cuddle up to a dog for the night. Couldn't do it now though too soft
    woods223 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by woods223 View Post
    Still mostly use a 40+ year old K2 70l frame pack. Rats got at inside of outer pockets at some stage but still does the job. Frame can be a bit of a pain in the arse in tight bush. Carried a shit load of meat out over the years. With sleeping bag, fly etc it still has room to carry more meat than I should these days. Approx 60kgs load a fortnight ago was nearly a bit much for this fella. Also use a 60l Macpac Cascade at times, another great pack.
    You old buggers and your old out dated shit. Don't you know that the more you spend on gear the lighter the loads get. Get with the program.
    Monk, chainsaw, woods223 and 4 others like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Going off topic a bit but since doing a fair bit of farm and vineyard based deer culling I don’t have to worry about packing out much these days. Like a few on here if I can’t drag it to where I can drive or ride a four wheeler it stays where it drops. Can’t wait to get out for a hunt though, finally got Covid and it’s clipped my wings bit. Back on track, there’s some useful info on this thread for OP. The take home bit is don’t carry needless shit. Keep it basic: rifle, ammo, sleeping bag, tent/fly if needed, sleeping mat if really necessary and basic snack food. You can do without a full on meal for one night/day.
    turtleSO likes this.

I get away with a 35 ltr pack but adding a deer leg or 2 and a back steak and it gets margional. tuck them under the extending hood and use some string as well.
    Not really suitable for alpine work and extended trips.
    I do manage to fit a down bag, exped down mat, jetboil, set of thermals, light water proof pant and coat, belaclava/neck sleeve, gloves and a long sleeve fleece, water bladder etc. may have a bino chest pack with rifle pull through, phone, eye glasses etc and my Mackpac olympus tent. (normaly only the fly, poles & pegs). Sometimes the rifle will be on the back of the pack as well so both hands are free to use walking sticks. Oh and some food. Some times the tent and poles go on the outside of the pack, First aid kit and PLb are in the pack belt bags,
    The larger that pack the more you are inclinded to carry which slows you down and make the uphills harder and the downhills rougher on your knees.
    If you are not planing on any longer trips or needing to carry real apline rain and snow gear I would look at a 55 ltr pack.
    NB I started out with a Terra-nove 85 ltr and carryed way to much stuff but then in my 20's I could not afford the light weight down gear etc I have now.
    Z
    Last edited by ZQLewis; 18-06-2024 at 09:20 PM.

@ Z this is where a meat shelf is fantastic !

Check them out if u haven't already....

Also if possible a modular system. Pack size interchangeable..... Kuiu, Elberstock, even tatonka now too I'm pretty sure doing it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Quote Originally Posted by kukuwai View Post

Also if possible a modular system. Pack size interchangeable..... Kuiu, Elberstock, even tatonka now too I'm pretty sure doing it.

Yep both Tatonka and Spika, I have the Spika big bag but for short trips the ancient Macpac Pursuit that is getting on for 30 years old.
    Happy Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by kukuwai View Post

Will have a look at those. I did drop from the 85 down to a 65 ltr but son has that now and besides it's too much pack for me now, I'm either flying in or only doing 1-2 night Northisland trips.
    My little 35 ltre pack is getting overloaded at times with >20kg if the rifle and tent are both strapped on plus some water.

Gives me flash backs to my Dad's old frame pack, except the old one has more air flow around you back and the frame is hollow to fill up with White Spirits and the cap has a little pourer in it.
    Z

Quote Originally Posted by ZQLewis View Post
    Will have a look at those. I did drop from the 85 down to a 65 ltr but son has that now and besides it's too much pack for me now, I'm either flying in or only doing 1-2 night Northisland trips.
    My little 35 ltre pack is getting overloaded at times with >20kg if the rifle and tent are both strapped on plus some water.

Gives me flash backs to my Dad's old frame pack, except the old one has more air flow around you back and the frame is hollow to fill up with White Spirits and the cap has a little pourer in it.
    Z
    That old one was a Mountain Mule.
    ZQLewis likes this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    That old one was a Mountain Mule.
    Thanks Tahr, nice to know this stuff as Dad can't tell me now. He would have got it 1960 ish and I know he did a couple of years shooting for tails in the Nelson Lakes area before going to Lincoln. Remember him saying he earned more doing this than his Dad made as head master of Nelson Boy's (or Waimea College) at the time.
    Z

Tahr, erniec and kukuwai like this.

Just use a big pack that is comfy when full and still comfy when empty or nearly empty for day use.
    I just snug up my 85L Osprey Aether AG.

I use a 40 l spiker pack hunted for 4 nights out mine & with the meat shelf it's fine to bring boned out meat home after using a pack with a meat shelf id never get a pack with out one I find them so good

Yeah, currently debating between the Aether 70 and 85. Does your 85 compact down nicely when its only semi full?

Quote Originally Posted by Chamdawg View Post
    Yeah, currently debating between the Aether 70 and 85. Does your 85 compact down nicely when its only semi full?
    I have the Aether 70 if you want to try it on/have a look? Have larger Kathmandu etc