Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Ammo Direct

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
Like Tree186Likes

Thread: Packs for heavy loads

Quote Originally Posted by spnz View Post
    I use the SG meat bag in my SG sky 5900 and it's awesome, basically the perfect fit for the shelf..

Yes it's basically a dry bag so doesn't breathe super well, noting that on longer pack outs blood does leak out so must breathe a bit..
    Thanks for that, I’ll give one of these a try and maybe run it with a pillow case inside.

Quote Originally Posted by STC View Post
    in theory yes...

in reality.... not always...
    I was talking specifically about packs here , I seriously doubt anyone is going to pick a 1970s frame over a modern EXO or Kuiu given the choice.
    It did make me think in more general terms though, but I cant find one thing from my hunting 45 years ago that Id want back today aside from my young fit healthy body .
    Im not sentimental at all and my usual reply to
    " they dont make them like they used to" is thank god for that.
    kiwijames and Gkp like this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

In 1990 I went from a Mountain Mule type frame pack to a Deuter. The difference was unbelievable. From then on the improvements have been smaller but incremental with each pack I have graded up to. I can't imagine them getting much better now, but I guess they will.
    I have a 55 litre Initial Accent and meat sling now, and a straight forward Southern Lite that I like too.

Before you dismiss these modern packs you really have to try them. Give them a fair comparison with your old stuff. They are a world away from the ones that used to rub holes through to your kidneys.
    nor-west, 308 and Outdoorsbloke like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Bit more on the Initial Accent (60 litre) I bought. Got stung by GST so final price was close to $1k. Ouch. But it is a beaut. I can use the full pack for taking in to huts etc and than take the bag off and just use the load sling and lid for day hunts. The load sling and lid can carry quite a bit of stuff for a day hunt.

It doesn't make things lighter but it does make the heavy loads so much more comfortable and tolerable than anything else Ive used. And the load on my knees, legs and hips feels so much better balanced.

Recently I carted these 2 bone in legs plus back steaks up out of this gully and the only limiting factor was my body. I left one ok shoulder 'cos I thought it would be too much but half way up I realised I could have had it on board too. Super pleased.

Name:  IMG_1068 2.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  267.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1064.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  1.77 MB

Im aware that others' have gone with Exo packs. I imagine they are as good or better - but I'm happy with my choice. When reading up about packs it seemed that the Exo are the best all rounders but plenty of reviews said that the Initial Accent was the best with very heavy loads. That's what I wanted.

Name:  IMG_1062.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  878.3 KB
    Last edited by Tahr; 26-08-2024 at 07:29 PM.
    199p, kiwijames, Dreamer and 8 others like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Thar,
    Why not knock the hocks off and make it a bit lighter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
    Thar,
    Why not knock the hocks off and make it a bit lighter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wasn't thinking straight I did when I got to the top.
    - Rumi

RV1
    I like that photo with the pup - nice looking country!
    Tahr likes this.

The mystery ranch packs from https://safarisupply.co.nz/collections/all
    Carry loads really well. Too many straps for my liking but great carrying. I like a simpler pack but can't complain while I'm walking long distances.
    Tahr and Sika 8 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    I find it rather jolly amusing how the latest n greatest packs for carting heavy loads....aren't a hell of a lot different to the better frame packs from thirty years ago. Many a meat/velvet hunter just carried a bare frame n tied whatever needed carrying onto it. Round n around we go.not a lot hasn't been tried before in one guise or another.
    This just isn't true. I've not tried all the old packs obviously but I doubt any of them would have the comfort under heavy load that a new top tier pack does (I've tried a bunch of my old mans old packs - big aluminium frames etc).

If you have a long carry out e.g. more than a day - that can make all the difference.

Pack weight has come down tons over the last few years too.
    Tahr, kiwijames, Shearer and 3 others like this.

I've got a Kifaru Hoodlum with Duplex frame (cheers hotsoup - it's still going strong mate) and it's a tank, it can take heavier loads than I can deal with and rides better than any pack I've used before. Worst load I've had in there in just under 60kg.

My only complaint is it's 3.9kg with the lid. I probably need to replace the hip belt as it slips a bit under heavy loads (meant to replace them every 3 years or so I think.. ).

Got my eye on stone glacier sky tallus 6900 (around 2.5kg). Really like the idea of trying one on before buying.

Exo K4 looks really good too - just so expensive.
    New Kifaru Ark frame looks interesting.
    Heard great things about the Initial Ascent too - good to see it's treating you well Tahr.

This is down near Mt Cook, summer tahr hunt - everything inside the pack (young bull, nanny all legs bone in + camp). Second pic is in the tararuas - four red deer spiker legs (neck shot) + camp - using the meatshelf.
    Name:  IMG_0156.JPEG
Views: 69
Size:  1.63 MB

Name:  IMG_2855.JPEG
Views: 69
Size:  1.42 MB
    Tahr, 199p, SPEARONZ and 4 others like this.