Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Spot lighting torch

I love my l21b I got off Jacob, I got it in red and it’s brilliant, I’ve used to use white light but it can startle deer and they take off - I never have that problem with red light. It’s a bit harder to spot them at further distances than using white but I also find the reflection in the eyes easier to see with red light instead of white.
    RUMPY and Night_Into_Day like this.

Maxtoch screwed over the guys here that did all the work for them.
    Won't get any more.

Piercing the Darkness is local and way better to deal with. Plus hes a member on here.

Just ordered another cm8... this 1 green
    Gibo and RUMPY like this.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

I've never used a green torch before. In the past I went from a white light straight to a red one in an attempt to reduce the animals reaction to the light. Last week I was in the Motu on a Hare hunt. The Hares did not like the white lights and tended to run as soon as they were light up. Then one of the guys used a green light, the Hares didn't really react to the green light and the range on the green vs the red I am used to was impressive.
    cambo likes this.
    ZeroPak Vacuum Sealers, Zero air Zero waste

Its good to mix things up a bit with different colour lights. The animals will get light shy after a time. Green does pick up eye reflection nicely, takes a bit of getting used to to shoot under though.
    cambo likes this.
    Every machine is a smoke machine,
    If you use it wrong enough.

I think that colour range thing is that human eyes are more sensitive to green than red. The same goes for game animals, they tend to be less sesitive to red than green but our eyes are more sesitive to green.
    So if hunting game that gets regually spotlighted you are probably better off with red, but if looking for more distance or game that gets less pressure then green may be a better option.
    Z

Quote Originally Posted by Quick View Post
    After reading this thread, I picked up a Convoy L21B SFT40 2000 lumen....

....I got them directly from China
    This has been bugging me since you imported directly from China and probably aren't familiar of what to check. I'd recommend following this list for your safety and to ensure your torch continues to function properly.

1. Check both retaining rings are tight around the driver and tail springs.
    2. Check that the two screws are tight that hold the LED's MCPCB down.
    3. Buy 99% Isopropyl Alcohol and using a Q tip gently clean the LED's surface. Do this too hard and you'll break the bond wires.
    4. Make sure you use button top batteries if you plan on mounting the L21B.

I clean the LED on every unit because there's often left over flux that ends up burning into the LED. The screws are often left loose so the reflector centers the LED when tightening down the bezel. I've had units arrive with the screws rattling around or ready to come out, if this happens it'll create a short circuit. Be careful when reassembling and tightening the bezel, do it too hard and you'll risk tearing the LED from the board.

Convoy is a DIY brand, so if your light fails you'll more than likely be sent parts to solder in yourself.

I recommend button top batteries for mounting because the recoil causes the spring to dent in the positive terminal. There's a pressure relief vent behind it that you don't want blocked. I've seen torches explode due to battery issues with windows blown out and shrapnel lodged in walls and limbs. If you're not super careful you'll end up with a pipe bomb. Lithium safety is super important. Years ago a person died by having a battery explode inside an Olight torch sending it down the guy's throat, he was holding it in his mouth. It was user error by using two batteries of unequal voltage.

Anyway, I hope this helps.
    Tuidog, tetawa, ZQLewis and 2 others like this.

To everyone else, I really appreciate the support on here, it's always nice to see that everyone is happy with the products and service I provide.
    cambo, tetawa, Fawls and 5 others like this.

I too have just purchased a L21b in green to hopefully take the maxtoch’s place in the night shooting kit.
    Can’t wait to try it out