Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Warm winter sleepingbag

Quote Originally Posted by stepht28 View Post
    Macpac dusk, 400gram of 600 loft
    I have the macpac dragonfly 400 which is mint for spring / summer or most seasons in huts.

I also use the macpac epic 800 and it’s been awesome in tents and under tarps from as low as -10
    But the trade off is the weight of it @ 1.6kgs

One of the best bits of gear to spend your money on though, and one that can save your life.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stepht28 View Post
    Macpac dusk, 400gram of 600 loft
    Definitely not a winter bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    My dad, who mustered and culled over a fair bit of the Sth Is high country in the late 1940s, including a very cold winter of shooting in the aptly named Siberia Valley in 1951 or 52 when the river froze, reckoned he carried pyjamas, and that a key to staying warm was to get out of your wet (wether from rain or perspiration) clothes at night.
    Old man, ex-deer culler, taught me to do same. Takes a bit longer to get dressed in morning but usually sleep nice and warm. Two weeks ago slept in clothes worn during the day, about -16C, first time in a long time that I can remember being cold during night.
    308, Micky Duck and DemocKot like this.

Im looking for a decent rectangle bag. Hate the coocoon mummy bags. You have to try and sleep like a corps

heaps of options out there without harsh mummy taper.my macpac doesnt have much taper and being the oversize model its even roomier still.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

HOT WATER BOTTLE...!!!! Still I suppose the RUM will taste just as good....

110%, even if you a totally exhausted make the effort to warm your body up before you get in your bag, even if it’s just a few squats or press ups. Your sleeping bag will act like a chilly bin, put a cold body in it and you’ll take forever to warm up. And as Tentman said don’t get in wet, same principle - sleep naked (dry) or with a small (light) set of dry kit on (shorts and singlet or whatever). All assuming that your bag is still dry of course

A quality sleeping pad will really help in conjunction with a quality sleeping bag or quilt (depending on your preference) with appropriate R value rating. I pack an Exped foam sleeping pad in addition to my Thermarest Neo Air for the colder months. Major reason is comfort, but it also adds to the R rating. If you can eat a large meal before tucking in, this helps the body with going to bed warm. Boil some water and put in your water tight Nalgene bottle. Better to layer up going to bed warm, than to try to gain heat by layering later. Keep a set of dry merino underwear, socks, tee shirt and beanie for this. If you are getting really cold, add thermal leggings (like the Macpac ones, can't kill them) and a light puffer.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    "Death - our community's number one killer"

DemocKot likes this.

try sleeping outside on lawn in this weather will give you some idea how good your system is....this morning was shockingly cold here in Geraldine between 5-8 am.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    try sleeping outside on lawn in this weather will give you some idea how good your system is....this morning was shockingly cold here in Geraldine between 5-8 am.
    I thought everyone did this.
    I have had a night in a tent when forecast was for high wind and rain.
    The fluorescent tabs on the zips were interesting to watch as you listened to the deck furniture blowing over.
    Gives you confidence.

Mats are a different story they creep on carpet so best to try on tent floor,ground sheet or whatever you are going to be on.

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk