Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Ammo Direct DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: What beacon to buy

Quote Originally Posted by ZQLewis View Post
    Ive carried a Rescue Me one so long it's now on its second battry. definitly the smallest around.
    only downside is they don't float without the neopreme case.
    Same, nice and compact. Just watch this neoprene cover if you wear it on the belt the buckle tear easily if caught on the bush

Quote Originally Posted by Brad S View Post
    Good day,

I'm looking at buying an emergency beacon. Not sure whether to buy a garmin inreach thing (would be nice to be able to text an update to the fam at home), or just buy a proper emergency use beacon.
    I haven't really looked into them much. What do people suggest? I don't usually do more than 1 nighters, and typically its only in blocks i'm quite familiar with.

Thanks for your input
    If buying new, pick a PLB that suits your budget, size and weight preferences. They all do the same basic thing and all new ones are now GPS encoded. The ACR with the white and infrared strobe are certainly worth the extra cost, they give a brilliant visual flash to rescuers. Make sure you register it and then wear it somewhere on you.
    Hold off on the inReach in lieu of of cellular Starlink if your phone is new enough. First impressions from the couple of cellular SOS I was involved in over summer was encouraging. Solid location and additional information regarding the emergency.
    Just remember a satellite communicator isn’t as robust system as a dedicated beacon with its dedicated power reserve and active VHF/406 transmission.
    Sika 8 likes this.

Gkp
    15 years ago I went for a GME with the strobe light as I take it out on the boat as well.
    Slightly bigger than most of the new ones but worth it for the night time visibility I reckon

Quote Originally Posted by Brad S View Post
    I don't usually do more than 1 nighters, and typically its only in blocks i'm quite familiar with.
    Also to add, most beacon responses in my experience are for injury or medical emergency. Not many activations are for someone who is truely lost. I’m not sure if my interpretation is correct about your being familiar with your blocks.
    Additionally a reasonable few activations are actually for someone the beacon owner happens upon in need of help.