Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Ammo Direct Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Another Trip to the Range

Greetings @Micky Duck,
    To me you are making a container of new powder into older powder. Powder does have a long shelf life if stored correctly but I prefer to keep the new and old separate. I have found some older containers of powder that has been badly stored that have deteriorated and clumped. Before ADI went to the kilo containers I usually bought two 500 gram containers each time I needed to resupply. You don't tip the dregs of an old bottle of milk into the new one so why powder?
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Shamus_ likes this.

I do it with motor oil too. Have not had powder sit long enough to be considered old. Any slight batch variation will be less by blending in old.not that I will notice anyway without chronograph and only shooting sub 350.
    johnd likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

There are two tins of IMR4831 in the garage that were given to me. Packed in 1987 and unused there was rust on the outside and inside of the cans and the powder had clumped. It will be spread under the trees. Also in my powder cabinet there is a part tin of IMR4064 packed 10 years earlier which is fine. Recent chronographing shows velocity right on the button. The 4831 was likely stored in a tin shed sitting on a dwang (nog for SI I believe) hard against the tin cladding.
    GPM.
    Micky Duck likes this.

They were dwangs in 1970’s chch where i was brought up (dad was a builder ) I always thought nog was a north island term ��

Quote Originally Posted by AMac View Post
    They were dwangs in 1970’s chch where i was brought up (dad was a builder ) I always thought nog was a north island term ��
    Only for builders who cant spell.

Greetings,
    This had me interested so I fished out my copy of NZS3604:1984 and it uses the word dwang so nogging, not to be confused with noggin, seems to have dropped out of use by then. I do remember it from specifications from the 1960's and 70's.
    Another bit of useless trivia from GPM.
    Muttonguts likes this.

I think the use of noggins has also deminshed since then too

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings,
    This had me interested so I fished out my copy of NZS3604:1984 and it uses the word dwang so nogging, not to be confused with noggin, seems to have dropped out of use by then. I do remember it from specifications from the 1960's and 70's.
    Another bit of useless trivia from GPM.
    I left CHCH in 1983 for the north island and it would have after I headed north I heard them called nogs for the first time. Ran a commercial construction business 2009-14 in Wellington and am sure thats what our PM’s and SM’s called them.
    grandpamac likes this.

Greetings,
    Apparently dwang is a Scottish term used there an NZ. Nogging is used in England and Australia and blocking in the US.
    Back to shooting and handloading.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Muttonguts likes this.