Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: The Ballinger Belt

thanks fernleaf thats neat - looks like shield has had an extension over the years - interesting that the long toms they are holding don't have aperture sights but rather v sights

The "Belt" is NZ's oldest sporting trophy. The Belt Series is shot at the Nationals annually in both TR ( sling supported prone/iron sights) and F-TR and F-Open. The Belt is for the TR shooters but there's an equivalent in F-TR and F-Open.

If you live near Ashburton, Mike Chui and Murray Cook are members of the current NZ F-Open team. They can give you advice.

I'd suggest you get a basic setup and shoot at least one or possibly two seasons to get some experience, esp with wind reading. I wouldn't lash out and spend the 10+K on a dedicated rifle without that experience. I can tell you that F-Open DEF isn't a cheap sport. In fact, to modify my advice, I'd say get a second hand TR .308 and fit a scope and bipod to it. This will let you shoot F-TR more cheaply before deciding to take the plunge into F-Open.

Quote Originally Posted by fernleaf View Post
    One of the oldest sporting trophies in the country - I've shot for it a few times as well, but have never been on the winning team...

Here's how it looked in 1905...
    What an amazing picture. Don't knock those long toms, it was only a few years prior that NZ soldiers had headed to Africa armed with single shot Martini rifles. These were replaced with Lee Enfields when they got there. They must have looked at the 10 shot mag with awe. In 1905 they would have shot with 215 grain Round nose ammo.
    Regards Grandpamac.

thanks granpamac drop rhinos with that 215 grain I have dads old long tom 1901 cut down and in a sad way wont be fired barell is stuffed I personally have never fired it and my last memory of it being fired was a wild pig by our back door must have been 1956 ish came up with our sows

As already mentioned finding a older 308 target rifle and fitting a scope to shoot FTR will be the best economical way to learn the wind and have a rig that’s competitive- there’s lots of good deals for older Barnards and millennium target rifles which would be my recommendation.
    Factory rifles with standard barrels generally don’t make the cut with 12-17 shot strings.
    Most NRANZ clubs now days have a good FTR rifle for use to try the sport so give your local a call to see if something is available.
    6x47 likes this.

so whats the scoring these days for full bore used to be 10 counting - allowed two sighters can choose them as counting shots but then only 10 - so we took 12 onto shooting mound - maximum score 50.10 has that now changed ??

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    so whats the scoring these days for full bore used to be 10 counting - allowed two sighters can choose them as counting shots but then only 10 - so we took 12 onto shooting mound - maximum score 50.10 has that now changed ??
    It is 7, 10, or 15 counting shoots with 2 convertible sighting shots.

Target Rifle is still scored out of a maximum 50.10.

F-Class is scored out of a maximum 60.10, as too many shooters were scoring 50.10.
    F-Class introduced a 'X' ring which is 1/2 the diameter of the TR 'V' ring.
    For F-Class a TR 'V' scores 6, the 'X' scores 6.1 - 10 'X's score 60.10

That's probably clear as mud for those who aren't target shooters.

The 'X' ring is about 1/2 MOA 1.5 inches at 300 yards, 2.5" at 500 yards, 4" at 800 yards, 5" at 1000 yards.
    I've an average sized hand, my palm is 4 inches.
    A F-Class shooter is trying to put 10 counting shots in the size of their palm - outside with the wind blowing.

My avatar is a 60.08 on a F-Class target

hey thanks mate I still remember my score at Roys hill Hastings championship c grade first real shoot in a competition - I was 17 then - 200 48- 300 48- 500 48 -600 48- 800 48 -900 39 - that bloody 48 really was my nemesis - I did note though that my ability to break 48 was always about wind reading and my lack of ability at getting it right - good old .303 I think I got third or fourth in C grade and won $60-- when I started driving tractors in Naki I met up with new Boss in smoko room -on the wall lots of dead stag photos and a small bore target 100.9 I thought well I wont be giving him a shooting competition any time soon
    johnd and Steffan like this.

The 100.9 would have been in the days of "inward gauging". That became too easy and it was changed to "outward gauging", eg, if you touched the ten ring at all, the shot was scored a 9. Much harder.

well did mean one could actually shoot years of training shooters many cant actually shoot targets its always been the real contest - front up what can ya do - still enjoy a good target challenge to this day
    6x47 likes this.

I agree shooting paper, is much different than hunting. Both different skills

but it generally doesn’t hurt if you cannfire a good shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    19Badger likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by turtleSO View Post
    I agree shooting paper, is much different than hunting. Both different skills
    You still have to be able to hit what you are aiming at. From what I see at the local NZDA range there must be a lot
    Of deer running around the hills with bullets in their backsides.
    6x47, Steffan and 19Badger like this.

One of my favourites is “the more I practice the luckier I seem to be”
    Don’t have as much time for practicing as much lately sadly ��

It has been 12 years since I competed in F Class. Back then the top guys were seriously good. I still have an F Class rig and all the gear. Despite some success back then I have no doubt the guys would would kick my arss to death today. I hadn't fired a rifle for 5 years till a few weeks ago thanks to some mates wanting to shoot long range getting me back into it. Its good to be shooting again.