Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Ammo Direct

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Cost per meal

I've heard good things about Temuka butchers.... Will see if have something to try them with later on... Support the little guys while we still can. Just like you lot were preaching re gun stores.
    country cuts likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

eastside is good haven't been to main street in tka yet since it changed hands but the old boy says they are good. 125g for a snag is huge. we do 87g or 110g most of the time.
    Micky Duck likes this.

lincolns butcher is fantastic

Quote Originally Posted by IamHackmeat View Post
    eastside is good haven't been to main street in tka yet since it changed hands but the old boy says they are good. 125g for a snag is huge. we do 87g or 110g most of the time.
    The Geraldine ladies are used to getting a big sausage..... So butcher has to oblige!!!
    75/15/10 black powder matters

the trick with "geraldine ladies" is velcro gloves and take them to the top of a cliff so they push back harder
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    Interesting subject, I did a quick look at the current DIY costs.
    Casings about $1 per Kg
    Mixes $3 to $7.50 per Kg (if you use them, and butchers probably do)
    So before you add meat or buy pork fat you're up at $4 a kilo. I realize the butchers have access to lower prices, but I think that it's a fair comparison for those doing it themselves...before you add in the costs of equipment.
    You're about spot on.
    Costs me around $3.50 kg to make unless I have to buy fat which adds roughly $2 a kg. Add in another 2 or bucks a kg for cheese if do a jalapeño n cheese number.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Yes Geraldine butchery.support the local guy or you no longer have a local guy.
    Yeah. That works both ways MD. Your local should be looking after you as a customer too and I don't think they are at $10/kg.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by cb14 View Post
    I agree MD getting sausages made is the way to go. I use a butcher here in Wellington and it costs me $7.20 per kg, so decent price and great product. I only have one for dinner lol so nice and cheap!
    @cb14 which butcher do you use in Welly? I've been going to Terry at Waikanae Butchers for the last few years and been super happy. Bloody good snags at a great price. Can't remember exactly his prices, but it's also roughly about $7/kg. Last batch I just got about 50 bags of half a dozen sausages made, but I often get salamis done, or bier sticks as well. Salami's are about $11/kg I think, and last lot of bier sticks we got made were about $8.50. I'm in Porirua so it's a wee drive, but well worth it when getting a load done.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie Z View Post
    @cb14 which butcher do you use in Welly? I've been going to Terry at Waikanae Butchers for the last few years and been super happy. Bloody good snags at a great price. Can't remember exactly his prices, but it's also roughly about $7/kg. Last batch I just got about 50 bags of half a dozen sausages made, but I often get salamis done, or bier sticks as well. Salami's are about $11/kg I think, and last lot of bier sticks we got made were about $8.50. I'm in Porirua so it's a wee drive, but well worth it when getting a load done.
    I use Cameron Harrison and find them good to deal with. For their standard sausages its $8kg but 10% off for NZDA membership. Last month I picked up 109 kg of sausages, meat balls, meat loaf, mince, schnitzel and its all great. He does have a great selection of small goods but it can get pricey when you go for the flash products. You can drop off / pick up in Ngaio or Upper Hutt.
    Micky Duck likes this.

You can’t beat a good snag , and if you get 20kg made up they better be how you like them I reckon , a premium sausage from a butcher is not a cheap cut anymore either , mind you what is ?
    Micky Duck likes this.