Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: Is cray fish overrated or am I cooking it wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Has to be cooked in salt water. From the sea not fresh water with salt added.
    What the man said for 6 minutes then dump into ice water.
    Barry the hunter likes this.

I read about a method of freezing crays that I tried on fish fillets and it worked nicely. Freeze the fish, once frozen dip the fillet in water & refreeze it. Repeat it a few times and it's a an airtight pack.
    I don't know if this would work long term as I only kept them frozen a few months.

100 ways to skin a cat.My method steam in sea water 8mins .Cool Hanging by their tale so it doesn't coil up rigor mortis .Split the tail in half lengthways,fry on the Barbie with garlic butter.Blue cod is better but.As Baz says if freezing them down,wrap in newspaper then gladwrap with the reqd catch date label to keep the feds happy re accumulation ruleName:  IMG20240212103642.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  2.58 MBName:  IMG20240212114822.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  3.38 MB[ATTACH]Name:  IMG20240212103828.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  4.05 MB
    Last edited by bluebaiter222; 29-06-2024 at 12:12 AM.
    stingray likes this.

ohh lord blue cod not going there except to say as a North Island fisherman just cannot understand the souths fasisination with blue cod - mushy - snapper every day or better blue nose
    Steelo likes this.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by No good names left View Post
    I read about a method of freezing crays that I tried on fish fillets and it worked nicely. Freeze the fish, once frozen dip the fillet in water & refreeze it. Repeat it a few times and it's a an airtight pack.
    I don't know if this would work long term as I only kept them frozen a few months.
    Some US fishermen swear by freezing fish fillets in bags of water!

At one point we were making up bulk batches of fish fingers for my son. Usual flour, egg wash and panko breadcrumbs. We froze them separately on trays. On defrosting and cooking, it was apparent that the fish was well preserved without freezer burn. A coating of some kind does seem to protect the fillets.

fish fingers that sounds good recipe the commercial ones now in supermarket bloody disgusting its like some sort of minced paste in them not even heaps of tartare makes them taste good really gone downhill

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    ohh lord blue cod not going there except to say as a North Island fisherman just cannot understand the souths fasisination with blue cod - mushy - snapper every day or better blue nose
    Nope Baz ,think you are confusing with Red(also known as Akaroa)Cod.Mushy shyte.Blue Cod raised in cold southern waters,firm, flakey,fillets.Put a horn on a jellyfish.
    stingray, Swanny, dannyb and 1 others like this.

that may be it the ones here dont rate them coming down that way later next year will have to try some real southern ones

fish fingers that sounds good recipe the commercial ones now in supermarket bloody disgusting its like some sort of minced paste in them not even heaps of tartare makes them taste good really gone downhill
    Fish fingers are usually made from Hoki and that's a fish I really enjoy, Very crumbly but great cooked in bite sizes. I do eat more of the cheaper fish due to the cost but have always preferred most fish over snapper

no these fish fingers her ladyship has been buying one could not tell what kind of fish its made of its so processed -its not fish slices like a proper piece of fillet - its like they have minced all the guts and waste bits and made them into a fish fillet shape cause that is what they taste like

no these fish fingers her ladyship has been buying one could not tell what kind of fish its made of its so processed -its not fish slices like a proper piece of fillet - its like they have minced all the guts and waste bits and made them into a fish fillet shape cause that is what they taste like
    So not unlike the method they make chicken nuggets ....Its all T.L.A....Tits Lips and Arseholes......
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

bugger ya I actually dont mind chicken nuggets with some sweet and sour sauce - but after that description
    timattalon and pennyless like this.

bugger ya I actually dont mind chicken nuggets with some sweet and sour sauce - but after that description
    Its called utilising every part of the animal. In truth it is actually a way of making the most out of food production. I prefer the curry suce....I still prefer chicken nuggets to the faux meat they make from Soy etc....
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

Blue cod should never be mushy it's the best eating fish and is even better out of the freezer.
    Once caught bleed and put on ice the flesh will stay firm and white.

Sent from my CPH2531 using Tapatalk
    6x47 and Swanny like this.

Boil them for a minute then split and pull the still raw meat out of the shell. Flour, egg , crumb then fry up with garlic butter. Delish