Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Ammo Direct

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: Is cray fish overrated or am I cooking it wrong?

Getting some fried rice last night to add to the chicken nibbles the missus did, spotted they do blue cod.
    It was maybe 15 bucks for a piece of battered fried cod.
    Yup won't be having that
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    marinade in white wine

any one who cooks crayfish or marinades crayfish in wine deserves to be made to drink wine coolers until they are horribly sick and become repentant
    Mate, try it before you knock it. BBQ on the back of the charter boat used to do a roaring trade in crays done like that, not a single complaint ever recorded. Except maybe "All gone? This is bulls...".

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    fark!! just went to new world for some milk, walked passed the fish counter
    $80 for blue cod!
    Yeah, your answer there is "New World". Bloody avo's - tiny scungy looking things too, $2.50 each. Down the road, $5 a bag of 6 twice the size...

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    Mate, try it before you knock it. BBQ on the back of the charter boat used to do a roaring trade in crays done like that, not a single complaint ever recorded. Except maybe "All gone? This is bulls...".
    I have tried it off a bbq after some Muppet poured wine all over it - nearly bloody fainted with horror - wont touch it - go visit me mates up the east coast put wine near their crays and ya be run out of town - I never have any food cooked with wine including so called reductions - it does crack me up with this thread all those saying they dont like crayfish and then seeing what they put with it - wine - curry - what do they expect with a crustacean that has a very delicate flavor - in years of mixing with east coast locals I have only ever seen crays boiled and they love their crays
    7mmwsm and Micky Duck like this.

No imagination those people. Paprika and curry both impart a really delicate flavour to the cray and it brings out the flavours already in the cray. I used to be of the "boil it or nothing" brigade I will admit - being one of those East Coast types that accept no other way haha. But no, I've gone over to the dark side now and have really seen the light as far as what you can do with the humble cray. I won't go further for fear of lynching though!

Small crays are where it’s at, sweet and delicious, larger ones go for the legs as the tail gets somewhat bland / very slightly bitter!

Fresh is absolutely the best, over rated ?
    Up to the person eating it, one daughter loves them with a passion the other not so much, and my son enjoys them in a rub ( pop corn chicken style).

Haven’t had a scallop season here in the top of the south in 7 years. So crays a nice treat, love catching em , and sharing them with folks!

I’d say steak is over rated as I’m a mutton lover, greasy and delicious slow cooked all day, now that some good chewing!
    Beaker and Micky Duck like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

No imagination those people. Paprika and curry both impart a really delicate flavour to the cray and it brings out the flavours already in the cray. I used to be of the "boil it or nothing" brigade I will admit - being one of those East Coast types that accept no other way haha. But no, I've gone over to the dark side now and have really seen the light as far as what you can do with the humble cray. I won't go further for fear of lynching though!
    cray burgers are damn good -- for that I will allow a little mayonnaise with the lettuce and a hint of tartare yummy - working on the cray boat out of Gissy back in early seventies I would have 3-4 whole tail sandwiches for lunch - used to chow down on the smaller green crays we could not sell
    stingray and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Small crays are where it’s at, sweet and delicious, larger ones go for the legs as the tail gets somewhat bland / very slightly bitter!

Up to the person eating it, one daughter loves them with a passion the other not so much, and my son enjoys them in a rub ( pop corn chicken style).

Haven’t had a scallop season here in the top of the south in 7 years. So crays a nice treat, love catching em , and sharing them with folks!

I’d say steak is over rated as I’m a mutton lover, greasy and delicious slow cooked all day, now that some good chewing!
    yes mutton agree - but find real mutton - its all reject lambs - mad butcher here did have some mutton chops - might look on wed
    stingray likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by m101a1 View Post
    How can anything so white come out the other end so BLACK .
    It wipes your liver as it passes through
    stingray, m101a1 and RV1 like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Yeah, your answer there is "New World". Bloody avo's - tiny scungy looking things too, $2.50 each. Down the road, $5 a bag of 6 twice the size...
    So you need to buy a New World, life’s your oyster
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Sauce doesn't touch steak in my house... I shoot it and carry it out then cook it.eat it like that or have store bought sausages. Guess folks feel the same about Cray's.
    stingray likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I don't mind crayfish every now and again but as I don't go fishing for them and I never buy them I don't have it often.
    Salt, pepper and either lemon or a bit of vinegar in a sandwich. That's the go.
    An example of fresh v frozen was when I was in OZ over 10 years ago.
    Saw some king crab legs at the local co-op in Newcastle. Lad was at rep training on the Sunday. Went in for a squiz.
    Seen it there the week before but to dear.
    Well I talked myself into it this time and took them back to an ex mates to have with some Sunday sherberts.
    Both him and his missus both reckoned it was some of the tastiest crab they had had and that's counting muddies which is saying a lot in aussie. I liked it too
    Fast forward a few months and saw some in the local coles. Half the price but obviously thawed. Yeah nah. Was basically what you would think. A bit mushy.
    I did try a Bug at a course in Sydney.
    Opened in half, meat from the tail taken out, shredded and done in a mild curry.
    It was very nice

Old mate brought some cray over from Stewart Island , it was in a large AG preserving jar , it had been preserved in white vinegar I think and a wee bit of onion , hell it was good .

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post

Larger ones get em just after they go hardshell after the moult... Few months after that they go a little bitter I reckon too.

Larger ones get em just after they go hardshell after the moult... Few months after that they go a little bitter I reckon too.
    Yeah that makes sense, our bucks that are not holding a nest go shallow, so plenty of tucker, kina, pāua , and anything else they can crush or pry apart, and no stress defending his ladies.
    Nil durum volenti !!