Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree119Likes

Thread: Is cray fish overrated or am I cooking it wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    Getting some fried rice last night to add to the chicken nibbles the missus did, spotted they do blue cod.
    It was maybe 15 bucks for a piece of battered fried cod.
    Yup won't be having that
    I got some from our local fishnchips, fillets were unusually flat for a cod... I dunno maybe it got run over first
    Micky Duck likes this.

very sharp knife and sliced in half maybe ???

All shellfish is meh!

Nice blue cod, snapper or flounder for me. Wife likes scallops can't understand why just as over rated as cray.
    Happy Jack.

In my opinion - massively overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    very sharp knife and sliced in half maybe ???
    Half.....and half again. Nice fish but plurry expensive to purchase.
    SPEARONZ and Billbob like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

same with me and whitebait as a coaster people assume i love the stuff .frankly i think its vastly overrated one feed a year leaves me quite content .crayfish -dont like it.

smoked eel /cod in white sauce -ill lick the bloody pattern off the plate .love the stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Half.....and half again. Nice fish but plurry expensive to purchase.
    perhaps we could start a thread how over rated is blue cod I will take snapper terakihi blue nose hapuka every day rather than that tasteless mushy blue cod - hell gurnard is much better
    7mmwsm likes this.

MB
    There isn't much point arguing over food tastes! It's like arguing about favourite colour, but since we're at it, my preference:

1) Crustaceans
    2) Cephalopods
    3) Shellfish
    4) Fin fish

Kind of a shame since we have fish coming out of our ears!

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    There isn't much point arguing over food tastes! It's like arguing about favourite colour, but since we're at it, my preference:

1) Crustaceans
    2) Cephalopods
    3) Shellfish
    4) Fin fish
    Kind of a shame since we have fish coming out of our ears!
    yes ohh yes totally agree scampi squid in tempura batter

I buy the blue cod collars / wings at pack& save for $10 kg and put them in the smoker yummmm .
    Billbob and Barry the hunter like this.

Dungeness, king or even paddle crab if you take long enough getting the meat out beat cray hands down. Even Morton bay bugs are better.

Firstly don't eat prawns from Asia look on Youtube , Crayfish if you are going to freeze them are better cooked first - then freeze in my opinion . Crayfish should be simmered not boiled , in sea water is best , if that's not possible salty water than you could ever imagine ,10 minutes average and then they should go straight into ice cold water to stop the cooking process.
    \
    Try this . fresh split the tail down the centre , dill and a mixture of lemon or lime and olive oil to marinate , flesh side on medium barby to seal until showing a crust , turn shell up and slowly cook for 5 to 6 minutes and put aside and rest like a good steak should be for 5 minutes or so - Crayfish rolls with lite mayo and white bread are also a favourite . cheers
    RV1 and Barry the hunter like this.

Hell you guys like eating real bad food , Farmed prawns and Farmed salmon , Do yourself a favour Youtube Toxic Salmon and you will find out because they don't eat Krill from the sea therefore no Amega 3 like their wild relations , and they are feed food which has a dye in it to make the farmed salmon flesh turn orange from the unmarketable colour of Grey/White flesh, and Monsanto makes the dye - Herbicide /Insecticide company .
    If that's not enough the unnatural layers of fat in their flesh is not healthy either .
    Asian prawns , just lets say the are raised in polluted ponds that they force feed them heaps of antibiotics to keep them alive generally - Aussie prawns caught in the wild are fantastic - Honey/Garlic Prawns was my favourite at my local Chinese Restaurant in Brisy - cheers

Carrotene gives the flesh its colour here...comes from...you guessed it carrots,processed in washdyke but truck n trailer load. As for omega 3... Do you honestly thing the fellas farming then in canals are that thick??? Just as easy to add that into the pellets too. Struth you starting to sound like tall blond fella from Taumarunui who told us coca cola had bits of aborted babies in it!!!!
    Billbob likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I don’t mind the farm Salmon if I’m honest , but on the rare occasion I’ve had proper Canterbury wild ones now that is a whole different fish to eat , years ago I used to get a massage of a las that was from Alaska , her family used to send her canned salmon and moose meat , she couldn’t stand our farmed salmon.