Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Go to meat mincers

Or check catering supplies companies.
    Go for one with a four inch tube. They handle bigger chunks of meat and usually have industrial motors.
    But as everyone else says, give zeropak a shot first.
    kristopher likes this.
    Overkill is still dead.

20 mins between these two pictures.
    Name:  20240609_124402.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  4.51 MB
    Name:  20240609_130556.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  4.07 MB

Another vote for zeropak. I've got a TC12: https://zeropak.co.nz/zeropak-hakka-...c-meat-mincer/

Very quiet to use and well made. Little things, like having all the edges deburred don't mean much in the showroom. Makes a world of difference come clean up time though.
    Every machine is a smoke machine,
    If you use it wrong enough.

https://www.harveynorman.co.nz/home-...der-mg700.html

I got the 700 which is a good bit more powerful than the 450.

Paid $389 on special in June 2018, still going strong and considerably cheaper than it is full price.

always pays to go bigger for a sale price…
    tamamutu likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

I have a toolshed bandsaw/ mincer combo. They are good value for money.
    might be worth a try if you have the use for a bandsaw also.

Really interested in how people have found the Kenwood MG700 and machines like the Canivore (which looks like a beast). I had an MG700 - sold it. Got sick of it jamming with fat/sinew. Had to cut the meat in small cubes, make sure not too much sinew, then freeze, then process in coarse grind, then freeze again (including the parts and meat), then process fine grind. Just got sick of it, so sold it on TM. Got given an old-school home made mincer with engine. It was downright dangerous, so got rid of that as well. Same problems.

Does mincing have to be this difficult - time consuming? Shouldn't a mincer handle sinew (the whole point of processing off-cuts into mince right). Does it always have to be frozen first?

Fortunately the dog accepts all cuts.
    "Death - our community's number one killer"

one is supposed to cut out the sinew before mincing or at least as much white skin and sinew as possible - but it is easier to mince semi frozen

And get your blades sharpened. Makes a world of differance

My post above is sinew, fat, silverskin, everything. Directly through the 4.5mm plate (medium) fresh. I cut it up into chunks as I deboned the deer. I often cut into strips and kind of let it self feed. It's the cheap Kenwood too.
    If your mincer struggles with this then sharpen the blades. I notice the speed of mine is directly proportional to how recently I sharpened it. In fact in the post above those pictures were taken that day and I was lazy and didn't sharpen the blade. It probably should have taken half the time if I had.
    Last edited by Makros; 11-06-2024 at 04:44 PM.

The first mincer I had was a wee trademe special that was quite loud and had a plastic gearbox. That needed to be fed quite small chunks of meat.

The current one is the zeropak TC12,
    That bucket is 20.2kg of meat. Took 12mins 37seconds.

Name:  20240610_232621.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  235.8 KB
    20 Bore likes this.
    Every machine is a smoke machine,
    If you use it wrong enough.

If you are finding the machine jams up or processing sinew ligament and membrane tissues is not a go - have a look at the blades and the blade to plate setup. Not just the sharpness of the blades but also that the blades are actually contacting the inside of the hole plate and that the plate holes have sharp edges and aren't rounded.

I had a burley mincer a while back (stupidly got rid of it in a moment of "I'llneverneedthatagain") but the reason I got it so cheap was that the original owner was using it for whole fish and fish chunks including bones. That gave the poor thing hell basically. The blades were knarfed up and needed a panel beat and a sharpen - luckily I was able to bend them back far enough that they were hard on the plate after sharpening (and they were sharp). The plate was worn to the point that one side of the holes were rounded over (the travel side). That was a medium plate as well, but became an "OS Medium" after I opened the holes out to square the edges up and squared the cutting face of the plate back up.

The previous owner was stunned at how well it went, no stalling, no loading up and it just did the job no fuss or arguing. So with a bit of TLC they can be made to go a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoppernator View Post
    Really interested in how people have found the Kenwood MG700 and machines like the Canivore (which looks like a beast). I had an MG700 - sold it. Got sick of it jamming with fat/sinew. Had to cut the meat in small cubes, make sure not too much sinew, then freeze, then process in coarse grind, then freeze again (including the parts and meat), then process fine grind. Just got sick of it, so sold it on TM. Got given an old-school home made mincer with engine. It was downright dangerous, so got rid of that as well. Same problems.

Does mincing have to be this difficult - time consuming? Shouldn't a mincer handle sinew (the whole point of processing off-cuts into mince right). Does it always have to be frozen first?

Fortunately the dog accepts all cuts.
    Almost sounds as if you had the blade the wrong way round on the Kenwood. I’ve got the exact same model and it’s a beast, plows through everything with no difficulty.
    Barry the hunter likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

Went with the Ken wood mg700 for $529 bloody good unit, minces as fast as you feed it. Thanks everyone for the input