Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Ammo Direct Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree173Likes

Thread: Cahill vs McKie

One news tonight had a different slant on this but she still came across well. Only time will tell.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quite funny how different people view this debate. I saw an article about illegal firearm imports while having lunch at work yesterday and mentioned to a colleague that this is why the registry will never be accurate. He then started spouting on about "that ACT woman" being on TV and how she doesn't have a clue what she's talking about.
    Him being English and I don't think has ever handled a firearm was then given an education by me about who Nicole is and what she has done in her life in regard to firearm use, safety, law and that she is probably one of the most knowledgeable people in NZ to cover these issues. He didn't have anything to say after that.

Good on you mate.
    Barry the hunter likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I’m not so sure the mainstream media are that non biased.

They are being a bit more subtle, but there is definitely element of spin in the balance of their articles.

Hopefully the discourse is allowed to run without too much bias such that the general public get to hear all sides of the story.
    Time will tell I guess if the average kiwi is still able to think for themselves
    Micky Duck and norsk like this.

I think most Kiwis think for themselves - its just that many , many of them are too afraid to voice an opinion for fear of ridicule or shaming or outright attacks from those who have differing opinions.

Ultimately , being offended doesnt make you right - it just means you disagree.
    chainsaw, outlander, RUMPY and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Boner View Post
    I’m not so sure the mainstream media are that non biased.

They are being a bit more subtle, but there is definitely element of spin in the balance of their articles.

Hopefully the discourse is allowed to run without too much bias such that the general public get to hear all sides of the story.
    Time will tell I guess if the average kiwi is still able to think for themselves
    Well if TV1 news coverage tonight is anything to go by then media bias is a clear & present danger. They interviewed that curly headed slapped from GunControl NZ for several minutes, never questioned or challenged the crap she was spewing out. And no attempt to include an alternate view from Colfo or similar. Very biased & lazy journalism.

Quote Originally Posted by RUMPY View Post
    Quite funny how different people view this debate. I saw an article about illegal firearm imports while having lunch at work yesterday and mentioned to a colleague that this is why the registry will never be accurate. He then started spouting on about "that ACT woman" being on TV and how she doesn't have a clue what she's talking about.
    Him being English and I don't think has ever handled a firearm was then given an education by me about who Nicole is and what she has done in her life in regard to firearm use, safety, law and that she is probably one of the most knowledgeable people in NZ to cover these issues. He didn't have anything to say after that.
    Some people will always have strong opinion on things they know nothing about.
    Or will think a certain way as that’s what they’ve always thought/the culture they’ve been bought up in.
    Unfortunately nothing can ever been done about that, other than just ignoring them.

The hate farmers get from certain parts of the population beggars belief as an example of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fee Knicks View Post
    I think most Kiwis think for themselves - its just that many , many of them are too afraid to voice an opinion for fear of ridicule or shaming or outright attacks from those who have differing opinions.

Ultimately , being offended doesnt make you right - it just means you disagree.

Unfortunately I think you give most people too much credit. I have yet to meet a non gun person that didn't swallow the media spin hook, line & sinker. Most that know me (including close family) know that I have/enjoy firearms but the only comments I hear on the subject are negative ranging from "murder tools" to "they'll all be gone soon".
    I do try to educate/inform them of the other side but with most of them they've got both feet well and truly in the other camp without even realizing it.

Quote Originally Posted by No good names left View Post
    Unfortunately I think you give most people too much credit. I have yet to meet a non gun person that didn't swallow the media spin hook, line & sinker. Most that know me (including close family) know that I have/enjoy firearms but the only comments I hear on the subject are negative ranging from "murder tools" to "they'll all be gone soon".
    I do try to educate/inform them of the other side but with most of them they've got both feet well and truly in the other camp without even realizing it.
    That is the problem and would probably apply to a majority of the population in New Zealand, they have been feed the lies from the media and that is what they believe.
    The media have shaped the opinions of New Zealanders for a prolonged time and are like the police they will never admit to being wrong.

Apparently there are approx 250000 firearms owners in nz.
    If we can't make our voices count together we are in trouble.
    Kiwis typically don't care until it affects them directly.
    Then it's to late.

Sent from my SM-A556E using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

This recent issue with Cahill needed a bit of anti gun spin
    He was firmly placed back in his box by Mckie but now is in a difficult position. If NZPHQ speaks in support of him,they show he is their mouthpiece, if they stay silent the public think NZPHQ don't support him.

In which case he is speaking gor the 51% of the Police who voted for him. Or was the position uncontested again?

The media talking to the loonies helps muddy the waters a bit ,but it dose come down to who Cahill is actually representing.
    Micky Duck and outlander like this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    Yes but certain individuals like to take it well into the political territory (something I'm guilty of).
    My view on this is that the forums rule is “No Politics”. However very unfortunately, a great number of our membership do not fully understand that “politics” and something “political” are two quite different things. This subject which affects us hugely and which should be of topical interest to us all and debated freely, is definitely political but is not politics. One man’s view!

On the subject matter, Chris Cahill should not get into a battle of wits with Nicole McKee as he will very quickly realise that he is an unarmed man. (pun intended)
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

BSA
    Cahill is doing his utmost to distract from his disaster after he caved to the Govt on the pay deal to the detriment of his Union Membership, which begs the question, whose interest is Cahill working for. Methinks he is working at the behest of Police National HQ for the simple reason an in depth Review is going to show their complete and utter incompetence in all things Firearms related and that is in spite of evidence proving that salient point being buried for 50 years post - 2019/20. The obvious question is Who has the most to lose ???. Answer = PNHQ and Chris Cahill in that order.
    timattalon likes this.

I don't think you can say Cahill caved on the pay deal - I doubt in this environment that there was ever anything more coming. The PA held out as long as they could for their membership, but in the end the legal process of compulsory and binding arbitration made the deal for all parties and the arbitrator (a well respected employment lawyer) basically agreed with the Government. Effectively if Cahill failed in anything in representing the serving Police Officers it's not concluding the deal under the previous Govt, but they were not willing to play to his tune either.

As far as the firearms end, that was really a 'last ditch' level action from him. If it doesn't work and get his wishes accepted, then his position becomes 'fringe group' and virtually sidelined going forwards. That's the way it looks like it's going too! The GCNZ woman (Yasbek?) never interviews well, the guy who's part of that 4-person outfit speaks a lot more articulacy than she does. They have a point if you purely look from the 'societal safety' viewpoint in that anything that could be used as a weapon can harm the 'fabric of society', but that includes groups such as hers being weaponised to serve a purpose of others!
    timattalon and Hugh Shields like this.

I got quite angry with Newstalk ZB on Tuesday. The wgtn morning show with nick (dunno has last name), he kept calling Nicole McKee a lobbyist - comparing her with people from the tobacco industry. The current head of COLFO rung in a very eloquently put him in his place, however Nick doubled down and wouldn't admit he'd got it wrong.