Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree173Likes

Thread: Cahill vs McKie

Bus driver
    I would love to see Cahill get into it with Nicole…. It would shine a light directly on the hypocrisy that Cahill is…..I would very much like to see that debate….. please,bring it on!!!
    timattalon likes this.
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bChPQYkdY2E

Cahill on the Platform today.

I do find it funny some of the evidence he gave for a gun register.
    -Mathew Hunt being killed with a MSSA, depsite being 6 months after the gun buyback where Police assured us the criminals would all be handing their guns in.
    -The Mosque Shooter being able to get and AR on an A cat licence didn't mean that the E cat had to be scrapped.
    In many ways this is also an own goal as the Police pissing around with pistol grip definitions made A cat ARs more widely spread, which is how he managed to get and AR so easily.

He present his side pretty well, nice to see he didn't resort to name calling.
    He presents some genuine views and concerns that need to be considered in this discussion, but it's just one side of the story among many and undoubtedly has many biases built in.

Again I'm glad this discussion is being had openly and in good faith, as we all know the Cahills opinion was just taken for granted as being correct last time, without any debate from the otherside.
    Micky Duck and No.3 like this.

I think the position that Cahill and his mates put up is best understood by utilising a practical example, so here goes.

If I kill someone with an axe, I am a bad bugger.
    If I kill group of people with a chainsaw, I am a villan.
    If I bomb a sports stadium or rock concert and kill the quivalent of a small town population, I am very bad.
    If I put poison into a water supply and kill an entire city, I am evil.
    If I shoot someone with a semi auto rifle, it's Nicole McKee's fault.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Waimata View Post
    If I shoot someone with a semi auto rifle, it's Nicole McKee's fault.
    Media and the anti gun nutters would also have you believe it is the semi auto rifle’s fault because it is evil. Our world full of numpties that attribute human characteristics to inanimate objects. Chris Cahill is a special kind of Numpty fo making the comment you highlighted.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Media and the anti gun nutters would also have you believe it is the semi auto rifle’s fault because it is evil. Our world full of numpties that attribute human characteristics to inanimate objects. Chris Cahill is a special kind of Numpty fo making the comment you highlighted.
    It's a weird one aye. Any other fatality and the person gets blamed, but with shootings alone it's the fault of the firearm. Cahill said in the Platform interview that semi autos should have been banned because of the Aramoana tragedy, but he said nothing about banning cars for the 15,000 or so road deaths since then (incidentally largely committed by registered vehicles).

I said it just after aramoana incident...look at the time frame.he could've used a golf club and done as much damage. BUT as many pointed out,the intent of changes made after that were sidestepped which hamstrung any worthwhile effect.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Bus driver
    Quote; Cahill on the Platform today.

Well plunket doesn’t help the cause either … he firmly believes all guns should be registered and that solves the problem,obviously it doesn’t…….,plunket also said that the excuse shooters make about have the data base stolen and the whereabouts of gun owners and there guns is Bullshit “because” the numbers don’t support it……here’s a bloke who thinks we are just minority whinging gun owners who need to get a grip!!????…… fuck him,he’s part of the problem!!!
    outlander likes this.

Bus driver
    ….. his main reasoning was ….. if we register cars etc,then we should register guns as well…..

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    That tendency is called anthropomorphism.
    A330driver likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

The safety argument around gun control and registration don't stack up either.

Cars are registered and yet cars are stolen every hour.
    Cars are registered and yet about 380 people were killed on our roads in each of the last two years.

If the safety argument was to be applied to driver licensing then it would be much harder to get drivers licenses.
    The penalty for driving unlicensed or outside of one's license conditions would be much more stringent.

If the safety argument was to be applied to cars then all cars would be restricted to less than 60 kmh, roll cages, race seats, harnesses & helmets would be compulsory and vehicle safety checks would be required much more frequently.

More people are killed each and every years by cars and drivers and no restrictions have or will be imposed on drivers and their vehicles.

Gun laws/regulations/restrictions are easier to apply as guns are easier to portray as evil things and gun owners are a minority in the electoral system.
    tetawa, RUMPY and Bert 71 like this.

And, I can own as many cars as I like, but am not legally required to register any of them unless I wish to drive them on a public road.
    Take note of "drive". I can transport them from place to another without registering them.
    Overkill is still dead.

And when your car is stolen, you aren't put under a microscope and investigated, and you don't lose your licence to drive or right to own a car.
    outlander and Bert 71 like this.

The argument that cars are registered, there for so should guns, is an excellent example to highlight the stupidity of thinking registration will stop criminals getting access to weapons.
    What is the most common weapon stolen by crims to carry out crime ? Answer = car
    Are cars registered ? Answer =yes.
    Does registration deter crims from using cars in carrying out crime ? NO !!
    QED.

The other fact that needs to repeated loud and clear EVERY time registration is raised, is the data reluctantly extracted from police in recent times via OIA, is that 80% plus of the firearms recovered by police from gangs & crims have never been legally imported into NZ ??! The FACT that the NZPolice and govt of the day knew this but kept silent when registration law was being debated. Knowingly withholding this in is a crime!