Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: FAL application interviews

Quote Originally Posted by Eat Meater View Post
    My wife's interview was yesterday. They're down to 5 months go to woah in the Wairarapa.
    Of interest was when it was time to inspect the storage, the interviewer noticed the ammo box I have for transportation and commented on it favorably. ( It was a funny pro forma thing as I already have a licence.)

Know your code, brush up on what you said you wanted a licence for in your application, deflect questions about politics!

Identify your target beyond all doubt because you never miss (right?) and I'll be missed.
    First time applicant or license renewal?

First time

Identify your target beyond all doubt because you never miss (right?) and I'll be missed.

So the interviews were re-scheduled due to 'ol mate Gabby blowing her way through town. Would it be appropriate to ask how the interview went and if I passed? or will they make that known at the end? Whats the usual process post interviews?

Gone but not forgotten
    I wouldn't ask how the interview went and if I passed. Of course I passed, because I am a law-abiding fit and proper person.

Asking if I passed would make it sound like even I'm not sure whether I should have a FAL
    Eat Meater likes this.

My interview ended with the interviewer telling me that I should expect something in the mail in a few weeks. My wife's ended with a similar comment.

I think if you have genuine doubt you're fit and proper to hold a FAL you're probably right. In the meantime, relax, because worrying won't improve your life

Tall kiwi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OGM View Post
    I lodged my application back in September and had my interview today. It took around 3 hours but a good chunk of this was him giving me helpful advice.

He asked a bunch of questions. Some of which they clearly ask everyone and some of which were tailored. I think the fundamental thing they want to know is why someone wants a license (quite a bit of discussion was variations on this) and they will be safe.

Some of the questions are quite pointed but not unreasonable in the context. I suggest rereading the 7 rules prior. One of the questions I was asked apparently wanted a reference to this.

My impression is someone who has a genuine reason, has done the groundwork and isn't a twit will likely get a license.

I second what the previous poster said about not treating it like a test. I simply gave frank answers fully expecting I will have it soon.
    Looks like I got lucky with my interviews. All up it took just over 1 1/2 hours to complete (wife interview, mine and inspection). The inspector ended it with "I have nothing to be concerned about" so confident I'll have the license soon.
    small_caliber and Cigar like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OGM View Post
    That's about the amount of time we spent on the formal part of the interview.

But I got an Arms Officer who was previously in the industry so of course I was going to take the opportunity to learn what I could from him.

Got my approval letter today.
    Did the letter indicate how long it will be before the card arrives?

Quote Originally Posted by Tall kiwi View Post
    Did the letter indicate how long it will be before the card arrives?
    In my interview last week I was told card would be 6-8 weeks

It shouldn't take that long. It was 2 weeks and a day for my wife. Interview 13 Feb , card arrived 28th.

Quote Originally Posted by db91 View Post
    In my interview last week I was told card would be 6-8 weeks
    I was told the same as a worst case scenario