Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Ammo Direct Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Firearm License unrelated referee

I had someone ask me to be a reference for a FAL that I was a bit weary about. I did not think I knew them well enough to vouch for them. I suggested that this was the case and if asked by the officer my answers would have reflected this, so I sat down with them and helped them wih their understanding of all thingd firearm that they wanted / needed to know and discussed who they really should be asking to be their referee....(They did have other options that in my mind knew them better and were more appropriate)
    whanahuia likes this.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

Quote Originally Posted by blip View Post
    the thing is how do you or they prove you have/haven't known the person for x amount of years....
    I have text message history going back 12 years, so I can easily prove that I have known some people for at least that long. I have never heard of a vettor asking, but if they did ask a referee to show them their first text message from the applicant, it would quickly shine a light on things one way or another.

Only if you keep your messages for ever couple of months max and then I delete them

Quote Originally Posted by nevereadyfreddy View Post
    So, how is the new job?
    He's a diplomat now
    nevereadyfreddy likes this.

Having been a referee for a mate last year I was surprised at the questions but you could sense that they were after how well you knew the person, mine was a video call, not sure if this is standard or if my mate was so low risk that it was ok.
    Gotta renew mine next year so that'll be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    He's a diplomat now
    Still working for the same guy. Told him him my reasons and he acutally agreed with me. Was fully expecting life to get difficult but not the case
    308 and nevereadyfreddy like this.

Still working for the same guy. Told him him my reasons and he acutally agreed with me. Was fully expecting life to get difficult but not the case
    Yeah I know a guy who turned out to be a whackjob who asked me to vouch for him
    So that friendship ended but it was high time it did anyway

Some people shouldn't have access to firearms

I just told my boss straight youve got a very short temper and then you start throwing shit around like a little kid and I dont think that is a suitable temprament to have if you are going to be in possetion of firearms. It was a bit akward for a few days but we are all good now
    308, timattalon and Finnwolf like this.

I just told my boss straight youve got a very short temper and then you start throwing shit around like a little kid and I dont think that is a suitable temprament to have if you are going to be in possetion of firearms. It was a bit akward for a few days but we are all good now
    I had a similar situaton at my last job, but it was a peer not a superior (But they seemed to THINK they were superior to me.....) Anyway about a week or so of them not saying anything to me, which was kinda nice, they approached me and apologised. They told me they had never thought of it like that and because no one had ever pointed it out she had never realised her behavior was out of line....She was a lot easier to work along side after that. Not sure if it was added respect for the honesty or simply her adjusting her behavior...but it was a nice change. It could have gone very different.....HR different....
    Finnwolf likes this.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

Yea thats how Im reading how it went with my boss

my boss asked me to be a referee so he could try and get a fal i said straight no fuking way
    I think that is actually the right response - in this situation I would be bloody careful with anyone in a position of power like a boss or employer (meaning financial power through control of wages) getting one of their underlings to be a referee for them. If I was having to ask the questions it would be a point that I would think needs expanding and more explanation...

What were the questions hahaha
    Cjsr

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    I think that is actually the right response - in this situation I would be bloody careful with anyone in a position of power like a boss or employer (meaning financial power through control of wages) getting one of their underlings to be a referee for them. If I was having to ask the questions it would be a point that I would think needs expanding and more explanation...
    They've removed this issue (not sure if it's recent or not?), no employers/employees/supervisors or managers can be your unrelated referee